What's new

New SP4 firmware out

Philtastic

All subsequent sleeps have been good using less than 0.2% per hour, and I think it's more aggressively keeping the CPU clockspeed low. This is good!

lightman

Ok I did the update and everything went well.
So now I notice my screen is dimmer at 25 % and battery saver does not seem to make any difference. I'm now running the monitor at 50% to get the same perceived brightness I use to have at 25%. I double checked the auto brightness was set off.
Has this happened to anyone else?

MikemanSP4

Super Moderator
Staff member
Anyone else not get the update yet? I've been checking Windows Update frequently on my SP4 since the announcement yesterday and have yet to see any updates. I know that they stage these, but is it normal for it to take this long to make it to some devices? Trying to decide whether I should contact support or not. The download on Microsoft's site for a manual install is still the January update, so that isn't yet an option either.

One thing I did - You might try if you want, but at your own risk - worked like a charm for me. Go to the device manager, uninstall the FIRMWARE for all Surface devices. Once done, go to the Windows Update and check for updates. It installed the latest and greatest updates for me this way. Again - Make sure you don't have anything pressing going on, make sure you have a good internet connection, and give it a whirl.

Hope this helps.

SurfaceGk

I didn't have any battery issues with the January firmware, but I had the issue of the screen not turning on upon waking the SP4. I did this weeks update and now my screen always turns on, and the Sp4 was running really nice.....until I just took it out of my bag and the fan was running bc the surface was hot to the touch. Battery went from 90% to 20% in 2 hours that it sat in my bag.

OP
wynand32

wynand32

So, as an update... I forced my machine to hard reset (two-button shutdown) a couple of times last night after having all sorts of issues. This was following a factory reset using a USB drive. Now, this morning, mine seems to be sleeping (close the Type Cover, Netflix for example stops playing), and it's been at 100% battery life since 8:15am this morning (it's 12:20pm right now) with only occasionally waking it up to check status.

Fingers crossed, but that seems to be a good indication that _something_ is working as it should. No issues waking up from sleep or with the Type Cover disconnecting, which is also a positive. I'm not sure if I'm ready to put it to sleep in a bag, but then I never did trust my SP3 that way either, I always hibernated when I was taking it somewhere.

Zippy0n

I'm just gobsmacked at how long the battery lasts now, much much better. It had 89% last night when i went to bed (22:45) then woke up at 7:15am to find it had 88% after sleeping

coolowl

How do I know if I got this update or not? I just bought my Surface Pro4 on Monday and have been getting updates on and off all week. Is there an "update number" or something that identifies these? Thanks. (Oh, and where do I look?)

Zkyevolved

How do I know if I got this update or not? I just bought my Surface Pro4 on Monday and have been getting updates on and off all week. Is there an "update number" or something that identifies these? Thanks. (Oh, and where do I look?)
capture20160219123123273.png

These :)

Press the start button, then type "update" and then click Check for Updates. Then Advanced > View Your Update History

coolowl

Thanks, that helped. I got all of those except the first one you listed - the System Hardware. Interestingly, when I clicked on Check to see if there are more updates (or whatever it's called) it said NO. Hmmm....

I did get one called System Firmware Update - 2/17/2016. Don't know if that is the same thing with just a different title. ??

Also, learned that there's a difference between Shut Down and Restart. I assumed that Shut Down and the subsequent turn the Surface back on would have updated things. but it didn't. I had two updates that originally were listed as requiring a Restart. So, I shut down. Waited a bit. And turned Surface back on. Checked my updates. No change.

So, I clicked Restart instead of Shut Down and poof....it worked. Things updated. I guess I'm just too old. In the old days doing a power down and back on updated things. :)

Again, thanks for your help.