What's new

My Thoughts On the Surface Pro 2

wseverino

I for one still have not received (or can even request) a replacement SP2 after the Dec Firmware almost fried my screen off 2 weeks ago. Having spent more than 17 hours (not exaggerating) on the phone with them so far to resolve my issues I can tell you 1st hand, any support rep you speak to or chat with is only as helpful as the computer screen in front of them. When it comes to thinking outside the handbook to satisfy those of us experiencing atypical problems they are next to useless.

So true! The sad thing is I had to escalate my replacement up through 3 different departments before I got the replacement, which took almost 1 month.

bluegrass

Hmmm. I wonder if the extra money I paid for a plan that covers replacement of my Surface for almost anything, even accidentally dropping it in the river, would bypass all the issues you guys have had to put up with to get your Surface fixed or replaced. I may just have to see what happens if I accidentally drop my SP2 in the bathtub if they'll just give me a new one right out of stock. Of course I need to wait until I know they have plenty in stock. I never use to pay extra for replacement packages like they sell at Microsoft but I thought it is worth it in the case of my Surface. I also really appreciate the fact that I have a brick and mortar Microsoft store in my city that I can walk in and talk with someone. I have found for the most part, they have reps that are pretty knowledgeable.

MickeyLittle

Hmmm. I wonder if the extra money I paid for a plan that covers replacement of my Surface for almost anything, even accidentally dropping it in the river, would bypass all the issues you guys have had to put up with to get your Surface fixed or replaced. I may just have to see what happens if I accidentally drop my SP2 in the bathtub if they'll just give me a new one right out of stock. Of course I need to wait until I know they have plenty in stock. I never use to pay extra for replacement packages like they sell at Microsoft but I thought it is worth it in the case of my Surface. I also really appreciate the fact that I have a brick and mortar Microsoft store in my city that I can walk in and talk with someone. I have found for the most part, they have reps that are pretty knowledgeable.

With the way customer service has been treating some of the people here may I suggest that instead of dropping it into the tub you just do it right and drop it into the toilet! :eek:mg:

Sorry... I just couldn't pass this up! I'm one of the fortunate ones with a good machine and no gripes so just a little attempt at humor mind ya.

drolem

First issue was that my Surface would not fit flush in to the Docking Station. The Video prong on the right side of the Docking Station would not fit into the Surface Pro 2. Thus the 5 power tines just above it would not line up and it would not be able charge. I immediately called Microsoft support and explained the issue to the technician (Kaleb with a “K”). After I spent all kinds of time defending the fact I was not an idiot and was fully capable of placing the Surface correctly in to the Docking Station, he said he wasn’t sure if it was a defective Surface, or a defective Docking Station.

MS [some factory in China] probably makes millions of Surface Pros, probably mostly automated, so I think I can immediately rule out that your SP2 was too large.
They probably make much less docking stations, but all the major body parts are presumably made with the same machines using the same molds and stamps, so it's a bit hard to believe that the dock were defective.

Personally, I do not have one, but tried a friend's docking station -- it's slightly tricky (needed 2 or 3 tries to put in), but it is not overly complicated. You should've taken the dock and the SP2 to a Microsoft store -- there, they could either show you how to insert the SP2 into the dock, or exchange it if it was really defective -- which I highly doubt.

BTW, I have 15+ years experience working with various consumer electronic devices, including one not so successful product from the mid 90's (lots of returns) where 90% of the returns were NPF. (no problem found)

fonzman78

There is no value in saying "stop complaining, the majority of Surface owners are happy" just as there is no value in saying "Microsoft and/or Surface as a whole is a failure" Its true, the happy don't post; however, the best testament of a company that understands their customer and exhibits the true spirit of innovation is one that silences the unhappy. Just read the threads, many of us have long drawn-out ongoing issues. We are not/would not complain if at any point we felt we received the product/service we paid for.

I for one still have not received (or can even request) a replacement SP2 after the Dec Firmware almost fried my screen off 2 weeks ago. Having spent more than 17 hours (not exaggerating) on the phone with them so far to resolve my issues I can tell you 1st hand, any support rep you speak to or chat with is only as helpful as the computer screen in front of them. When it comes to thinking outside the handbook to satisfy those of us experiencing atypical problems they are next to useless.

The thing is, we have heard your (and godson and wseverino) complaints about your bad experiences with MS Support, MS Store, and MS anything over and over and over. You guys must be the unluckiest folks on the earth. Seriously. 17 hour support calls. 2 identical flawed exchanges. Useless techs. Non caring MS Store employees. 3 different departments to get a replacement.

I would think that at some point you would just sell your SP's rather that go thru all that angst. Put them on Ebay for a couple two, three hundred off and I'm certain you'll get rid of them and your problems. You'll lose some money but it's certainly worth it rather than put up with a device you don't even want anymore.

I waited for the SP line since it was announced. I bought the SP and SP2 on day one each time. It was exactly what I wanted. I use my SP2 everyday for work and play. It is invaluable to me. However, if I had to put up with the grief you guys have, I would sell the damn thing in a heartbeat, eat the loss, and begin a new search for a device that works better for me. Then I would move along to my new device forum and tout the virtues of my new device.

I have no problem with you guys complaining. We all know you're unhappy. We would like to help but the things you complain about are out of our control. Give it a rest. Find a new device.

tech57

I've owned my Surface Pro 2 just over 30 days; it was purchased to replace a Nexus 10 Android tablet.
Our company uses a CRM which requires the use of Internet Explorer, no other browsers will work.

Although the original intent was replacing the Android tablet, the capability and function quickly allowed me to replace my laptop with the Surface Pro 2, turning my use into one that mirrors the use of the original poster. I use the Type Cover, Docking Station, LED monitor, wireless keyboard, and wireless mouse. My SP2 is 4/128.

During my first week of ownership I could not figure out how to use the split screen function, called Microsoft, and made an appointment at one of the local stores. Similar to the OP, when I arrived they did not find my appointment in the system - there may be a breakdown in MS' appointment calendar data transfer? Unlike the OP, the MS Store had a greeter who, when he could not locate my appointment, immediately directed me to the service counter where an associate listened to my question, took me to a desk area to educate me on split screen use, and offered to demonstrate and educate me on other useful features of Windows 8.1. Mark this as a good experience for me.

The Surface Pro 2 has exceeded my expectations for hardware and functionality.

At this point the only issue I've had with the docking station was intermittent external monitor signal. I connect via HDMI adapter and cable and was using a Belkin adapter but did not experience intermittent external monitor signal when the video out adapter was connected directly to the SP2. Upon examination I noticed the Belkin adapter insulated end was larger than the port of the docking station which prevented full insertion of the cable adapter. I ordered the SP1/SP2 HDMI adapter directly from Microsoft and have not had any further problem. The Belkin adapter works fine when attached directly to the SP2 so I bring it and an HDMI cable with me for presentations while on the road.

I post this not to discount the experience of the OP but simply to state your experience may, like mine, be very good.