What's new

Mini DisplayPort to HDMI Adapter - F6U-00011 vs F6U-00001 ?

beq

What's the difference between F6U-00001 vs F6U-00011? Both are Microsoft's Mini DisplayPort to HDMI adapter (the former came out with the original Surface Pro while the latter came out with the SP2). Are they in fact identical, even in color/appearance? I'd bought a couple but need more.

(The $40 Microsoft brand is expensive compared to 3rd party adapters and cables, but it's specifically cut to the Surface's angled bezel and thus looks better cosmetically.)

Here are some store links (since Microsoft Store has been perennially out of stock):

F6U-00011
Best Buy
Frys
Micro Center
TigerDirect

F6U-00001
Best Buy
Frys
Micro Center
TigerDirect

P.S. Similarly there are 2 versions of the HDMI adapter for the Surface RT / Surface 2 line, Z2S-00001 vs Z2S-00013.

Z2S-00013
Micro Center

Z2S-00001
Micro Center

ohioDroid

I suspect that there is no difference. Probably some slight manufacturing changes, or maybe built at a different facility.

The reason I don't think there is a difference is that DisplayPort and HDMI carry Audio and Video the same way, electrically. DisplayPort (and Thunderbolt) do have greater capabilities but in this case, it's just that the form factor of the connectors have changed.

I'm using a MonoPrice adapter. I'll admit, it looks kind of tacky, being white next to my glossy black SP2. And, the quality is sort of low.. If I bump it, the signal dies momentarily. But it does work. You'll probably be good with either choice you make.