What's new

Just about to buy surface book questions

compnovo

Hi

One more thing, I'm leaning towards the least expensive model, 128 GB drive and 8 Mb ram, and not a unit with a dedicated processor. I really only plan to use for MS word, Internet and my beloved math program Maple 2015.
Any opinion on my choice for what I want to do?
I purchased the base model and haven't had any regrets, for a couple of reasons. First, I have a desktop computer I built for gaming and other heavy duty services so I didn't need those capabilities in a portable device. Second, and more importantly to me, the base model fit into my budget. If I had more discretionary income I probably would have been inclined to at least get the lowest priced model that included the discrete GPU.

OP
C

City_Guy

Hi

Thanks for sharing your experience. I too have a similar situation where I have a main desktop computer with a nice large screen, but want the surface book for mobility.

Do you find the screen is large enough for ms word when writing papers?

compnovo

Hi

Thanks for sharing your experience. I too have a similar situation where I have a main desktop computer with a nice large screen, but want the surface book for mobility.

Do you find the screen is large enough for ms word when writing papers?
Absolutely, it's big enough for Word, Excel, and the PowerPoint presentations I create. When I'm travelling I also use it to watch Netflix movies when I can't patch it to the TV in my room with the adapter cable I bought (like when they block the HDMI ports).

OP
C

City_Guy

Absolutely, it's big enough for Word, Excel, and the PowerPoint presentations I create. When I'm travelling I also use it to watch Netflix movies when I can't patch it to the TV in my room with the adapter cable I bought (like when they block the HDMI ports).
Greetings,

Thank you for the reply. The surface book is a very large investment, and for me at least, it is very helpful to hear opinions from actual users. Much appreciated as I contemplate spending quite a bit of cash.

compnovo

Greetings,

Thank you for the reply. The surface book is a very large investment, and for me at least, it is very helpful to hear opinions from actual users. Much appreciated as I contemplate spending quite a bit of cash.
If you've been following the posts you'll have noticed some concerns/complaints about issues with the SB. I have had very few problems, and they've all been resolved with the updates. I don't think that's luck. I think it's more likely that I have fewer hardware problems because the base model has less complicated hardware (as in, no discrete GPU). That's just my theory, and you might get a different story from others who have the base model.

OP
C

City_Guy

If you've been following the posts you'll have noticed some concerns/complaints about issues with the SB. I have had very few problems, and they've all been resolved with the updates. I don't think that's luck. I think it's more likely that I have fewer hardware problems because the base model has less complicated hardware (as in, no discrete GPU). That's just my theory, and you might get a different story from others who have the base model.

Hi

I have read many of the threads and posts relating to Surface Book problems and that is a concern. However, it seems that most of the problems were driver issues, and the continuing updates seem to have resolved many of the problems. I appreciate your input.

OP
C

City_Guy

Hi

I have read many of the threads and posts relating to Surface Book problems and that is a concern. However, it seems that most of the problems were driver issues, and the continuing updates seem to have resolved many of the problems. I appreciate your input.
One mire thing
I will probably purchase the Microsoft complete protection plan, any experience with that?

Cimmerian

One mire thing
I will probably purchase the Microsoft complete protection plan, any experience with that?

I bought the service plan, I would be too afraid to carry a $3000+ device around without some sort of accident protection, I haven't had to use it yet but I have replaced my book for other reasons with no issues. As far as I can tell it's solid.