What's new

Is it Powerful enough to do this.........?

CheyenneDonna

Hello all,
My name is Cheyenne and I'm a student and substitute teacher hoping to get a contract. I'm a tablet lover, currently using Android (Nexus 7 and ASUS Transformer) and a Chromebook as my main devices; but I occasionally need Windows (and will more often as I work on my Master's). When I have a lot of papers to write I use Dragon Naturally Speaking, I use Office 2013 and Adobe Pro. These 3 programs are essential to me and when I'm really working hard I need to have a browser open for research as well. I have an extra monitor for dual screen capabilities when needed. I currently use a Sony Vaio VGN FZ260E laptop I bought in 2007, it was Vista - I upgraded to 7, upgraded to 3GB ram and have a Core 2 duo 2GHz; as you can imagine it hardly serves my purposes anymore.
I've been searching for a new solution and with the price drop and my education discount the Surface Pro became an inexpensive option compared to my other choices (the ASUS Taichi or the Sony VAIO Duo 11 Touchscreen Ultrabook). Can the Surface Pro live up to my expectations? I like the form, don't mind having a few dongles for vga, usb hub etc; don't use a keyboard as often as most people and love the ability to write and draw directly on screen. Opinions from anyone who is a power user please. :smile:

EMINENT

Hello all,
My name is Cheyenne and I'm a student and substitute teacher hoping to get a contract. I'm a tablet lover, currently using Android (Nexus 7 and ASUS Transformer) and a Chromebook as my main devices; but I occasionally need Windows (and will more often as I work on my Master's). When I have a lot of papers to write I use Dragon Naturally Speaking, I use Office 2013 and Adobe Pro. These 3 programs are essential to me and when I'm really working hard I need to have a browser open for research as well. I have an extra monitor for dual screen capabilities when needed. I currently use a Sony Vaio VGN FZ260E laptop I bought in 2007, it was Vista - I upgraded to 7, upgraded to 3GB ram and have a Core 2 duo 2GHz; as you can imagine it hardly serves my purposes anymore.
I've been searching for a new solution and with the price drop and my education discount the Surface Pro became an inexpensive option compared to my other choices (the ASUS Taichi or the Sony VAIO Duo 11 Touchscreen Ultrabook). Can the Surface Pro live up to my expectations? I like the form, don't mind having a few dongles for vga, usb hub etc; don't use a keyboard as often as most people and love the ability to write and draw directly on screen. Opinions from anyone who is a power user please. :smile:

Absolutely! What else are you going to load Dragon and Adobe on with the ability to draw and take detailed notes?

Transformer and Chromebook? Jeez, I remember those days with my Transformer. Sooooo glad I don't have to use that thing anymore. It was decent for it's price, but so lacking in lots of areas. I couldn't imagine having to juggle two os's anymore just to do one thing. You can also use it in extended display and wirelessly with a Miracast adapter if you want.

The possibilities are only limited when you start to game and do intense video editing. For your needs, I think you may have been missing out.

Good luck with your decision.

Last edited:

mlknez

It will work well for your purposes. I purchased one to replace my high-end Dell XPS laptop and my iPad. It has served me well. Windows 8 has excellent dictation software that is part of the operating system, but it will also run Dragon if that is what you prefer. The writing ability is second to none.. I have the displayport to HDMI dongle as well as a usb 3 hub and several other add-ons, as I am a technology consultant and need to be ready for anything. I cannot say that it is a perfect device, but I have been very happy for the 9 months that I have had it and have no regrets.

Make sure that you get the 128 version. Here are some add-ons that you may find useful:
64GB Micro SDXC Card: SanDisk Ultra 64GB Class 10 Micro Secure Digital Extended Capacity (SDXC / UHS-I) Flash Media Card SDSDQUI-064G-A1 SDSDQUI-064G-A1 - Micro Center - $60
Type Cover: Microsoft Type Cover for Surface D7S-00001 - Best Buy - $130
Case: WV594AA - HP Mini 10.2" Notebook Sleeve - Bags / Cases - $5
DisplayPort to HDMI adapter: w/ Audio Support - $6
USB 3 to Gigabit Ethernet adapter: Amazon.com: StarTech USB 3.0 to Gigabit Ethernet NIC 10/100/100 Network Adapter, USB to RJ45 (USB31000S): Computers & Accessories - $33
Complete coverage protective skin, matte finish: http://http://www.ghost-armor.com/pr...ft-surface-pro - $45
USB to LTE adapter with 500MB/month free data: Free Wireless Internet | Free Internet | 4G Wireless Internet - FreedomPop -$9
75 Watt Inverter for Car use: Enercell 75W Power Inverter : Power Inverters | RadioShack.com - $35
16GB USB 3 Flash drive: Micro Center 16GB SuperSpeed USB 3.0 Flash Drive 294538 - Micro Center - $11
USB Hub and Multimedia card reader: http://microcenter.com/product/36047...B_20_Hub_Combo - $6

Last edited:
OP
C

CheyenneDonna

It will work well for your purposes. I purchased one to replace my high-end Dell XPS laptop and my iPad. It has served me well. Windows 8 has excellent dictation software that is part of the operating system, but it will also run Dragon if that is what you prefer. The writing ability is second to none.. I have the displayport to HDMI dongle as well as a usb 3 hub and several other add-ons, as I am a technology consultant and need to be ready for anything. I cannot say that it is a perfect device, but I have been very happy for the 9 months that I have had it and have no regrets.

Thank you! That is the info I was looking for, I can't really afford the pricier options.

OP
C

CheyenneDonna

Absolutely! What else are you going to load Dragon and Adobe on with the ability to draw and take detailed notes?

Transformer and Chromebook? Jeez, I remember those days with my Transformer. Sooooo glad I don't have to use that thing anymore. It was decent for it's price, but so lacking in lots of areas. I couldn't imagine having to juggle two os's anymore just to do one thing. You can also use it in extended display and wirelessly with a Miracast adapter if you want.

The possibilities are only limited when you start to game and do intense video editing. For your needs, I think you may have been missing out.

Good luck with your decision.

Thanks for the input; it helps. I honestly love Android though -it's only limitations for me are the programs I use for school papers. I play games, but not seriously and video editing is not one of my hobbies. The Transformer is outdated; but I will probably get a Nexus 10 eventually (not buying the more expensive Sony or ASUS Windows machine will help too).

Last edited:

EMINENT

Thanks for the input; it helps. I honestly love Android though -it's only limitations for me are the programs I use for school papers. I play games, but not seriously and video editing is not one of my hobbies. The Transformer is outdated; but I will probably get a Nexus 10 eventually (not buying the more expensive Windows machine will help too).

I'm sorry, you are getting another Android tablet to replace another?

Why did you come here asking such questions if you just want the same experience that you have now?

I don't get it.

OP
C

CheyenneDonna

I'm sorry, you are getting another Android tablet to replace another?

Why did you come here asking such questions if you just want the same experience that you have now?

I don't get it.

I guess you misunderstood, I need Windows for several things; but, I still will use Android too. I came here to find out if the Surface could handle my Windows needs. Again, thanks for your input; I will be buying the Surface Pro and thank the forum members who helped me decide.

EMINENT

I guess you misunderstood, I need Windows for several things; but, I still will use Android too. I came here to find out if the Surface could handle my Windows needs. Again, thanks for your input; I will be buying the Surface Pro and thank the forum members who helped me decide.

Oh, sorry. I guess I did. I thought you were asking your questions in the original post and then decided just to get a Nexus 10. I guess if you need certain Android apps, I get it. Personally, the pro does everything I need and I am fortunate that I have such a device to enjoy.

Lolvo

ATIV Q?

For someone needing your multi-OS capabilities, I would have thought Mitchell would have chimed in by now.