What's new

Finally: Daisy-Chaining Monitors With DisplayPort 1.2!

VieuxJules

Thanks!

I recall that you have U3014 (1.2) and U3011 (1.1) monitors. What I have read over several research is that the problems appear mostly on U2414H monitors. It was reported as a bad implementation of communication between those specific monitors and the host computer, in other words, if the monitors are in sleep mode no signal will be sent to the host computer; this misbehaviour also happens when you shut the monitors off with just the "touch button". Hence you have to unplug the monitors and plug then back in, so the monitor will send the needed information to the computer. That is what I understood, my sole contribution was to suggest to connect all monitors (u2414h) to a power bar instead of unpluging and repluging each one. Now besides that annoying step, everything is now normal, therefore I can choose to use the monitors just after start-up, or later on.

MacBook Air users where experimenting the same problems with those monitors.

Tsurugaya

Next time try this.
Open a small window on your Surface, then move that window to the other monitors and see if that will wake them.

Peter C

Good news everybody! I have the 2 U2414H monitors working fine with the docking station. I will keep the tricks in mind with these supposedly temperamental monitors. It doesn't sound like much of a hassle to deal with to get them running.

VieuxJules

Congrats for your acquisition! These are very good monitors, sharp and has the smallest bezel around... and a USB 3 hub! The inconvenience is effectively small in comparison.

enthuz

Good news everybody! I have the 2 U2414H monitors working fine with the docking station. I will keep the tricks in mind with these supposedly temperamental monitors. It doesn't sound like much of a hassle to deal with to get them running.

Good! I'm about to receive my SP3 and MS dock. I've spec'd out the U2414H dual monitor bundle to go with it. Reading this thread had me worried. Are you using a SP3/SP2/SP in your setup? Any special thing/tweak required for you?

Lafayette

It appears you are connected directly to the SP2.

What cable are you using? It is a DELL supplied cable?

I'm attempting same from a SP3 docking station and it doesn't work. Tried several docking stations.

But daisy chaining directly from the SP3 to my DELL U2415 (and then to another U2415) does work. Very nicely indeed.

So far SP3 1, docking station 0.