What's new

Dual monitor issues with Surface Pro 7

naterohe

We recently purchased 63 Surface Pro 7 tablets, i7, 16GB ram, and 256GB SSD with Windows Pro and I've been working on getting these configured and rolled out to staff and I'm finding that for staff who have dual monitors they are having an issue when they plug back into their Microsoft Dock after having their tablet in a meeting. When they plug in their dock and close the keyboard the colors on the monitors are off or there are vertical lines from top to bottom or the picture is very blury. If you open the keyboard then the monitors work correctly. We have been using Surface tablets with the Microsoft dock for quite some time and have not had these issues before. We have been using startech.com VGA adapters but I have bought some Microsoft VGA adapters and have also updates the firmware of the dock but neither has fixed our issue. Has anyone else run into these issues?

Turbo4AWD

We recently purchased 63 Surface Pro 7 tablets, i7, 16GB ram, and 256GB SSD with Windows Pro and I've been working on getting these configured and rolled out to staff and I'm finding that for staff who have dual monitors they are having an issue when they plug back into their Microsoft Dock after having their tablet in a meeting. When they plug in their dock and close the keyboard the colors on the monitors are off or there are vertical lines from top to bottom or the picture is very blury. If you open the keyboard then the monitors work correctly. We have been using Surface tablets with the Microsoft dock for quite some time and have not had these issues before. We have been using startech.com VGA adapters but I have bought some Microsoft VGA adapters and have also updates the firmware of the dock but neither has fixed our issue. Has anyone else run into these issues?
VGA adapters????? Can't use DVI or Display Port on the monitors? Get mini Display Port to regular Display Port or DVI at least? I know that HDMI is not as common yet. I wouldn't mess with Analog VGA cables anymore. Yes, I would suggest updating the firmware on the dock for sure. This was an issue in the past for the Surface Pro Docking station that has the cable instead of holding up the Surface Pro like the old Surface Pro 3 docks used to.

Hopefully the updated firmware helps. If not, I would suggest going to DVI or Display Port instead of VGA adapters.

Turbo4AWD

Off Topic: I would LOVE for my employer to switch to Surface Pro 6's/7's instead of the crap iPads/laptops/all in one pcs that they are making everyone use. I mean you can dock anywhere and it's a FULL BLOWN PC. NOT a "Mobile Device" as my iPad was often identified as by MULTIPLE websites that I COULDN'T visit due to the iPad being a mobile device. Oh well, I can dream, lol.

timcliff

VGA adapters????? Can't use DVI or Display Port on the monitors? Get mini Display Port to regular Display Port or DVI at least? I know that HDMI is not as common yet. I wouldn't mess with Analog VGA cables anymore. Yes, I would suggest updating the firmware on the dock for sure. This was an issue in the past for the Surface Pro Docking station that has the cable instead of holding up the Surface Pro like the old Surface Pro 3 docks used to.

Hopefully the updated firmware helps. If not, I would suggest going to DVI or Display Port instead of VGA adapters.
Thanks for your help with this. Is there a ranking in display cables? I use a Surface 3 laptop at home and work and have a MS Docking station at both home and work which works well with the displays set to 100%. But when I use the laptop away from these I have to go into Settings and adjust the screen size to 150%.
Is there a way to make a button / wizard / automate this in some way?

Many thanks,
Tim

Microsoft Surface Dock Station (2x HD Video ports, Gigabit Ethernet port, 4 x USB 3.0 ports, Audio port)

Last edited by a moderator:

Turbo4AWD

Thanks for your help with this. Is there a ranking in display cables? I use a Surface 3 laptop at home and work and have a MS Docking station at both home and work which works well with the displays set to 100%. But when I use the laptop away from these I have to go into Settings and adjust the screen size to 150%.
Is there a way to make a button / wizard / automate this in some way?

Many thanks,
Tim

Microsoft Surface Dock Station (2x HD Video ports, Gigabit Ethernet port, 4 x USB 3.0 ports, Audio port)

This is my daily struggle with my Surface Pro 6. If someone can figure this out, it would be amazing. I like to use my Surface Pro 6 in Tablet Mode at 200% scaling, but once I attach the keyboard to use it like a regular computer, I end up changing the scaling to 100% for more real estate. Please let me know if you ever find out a way to automate this. It would be WONDERFUL!

timcliff

This is my daily struggle with my Surface Pro 6. If someone can figure this out, it would be amazing. I like to use my Surface Pro 6 in Tablet Mode at 200% scaling, but once I attach the keyboard to use it like a regular computer, I end up changing the scaling to 100% for more real estate. Please let me know if you ever find out a way to automate this. It would be WONDERFUL!

I am glad that its not just me at least! ;-)