What's new

Doesn't boot due to empty battery. Reason?

SurfTheWavez

Yesterday, the surface pro refused to boot up at all.

Without charger it was completely dead, the screen wouldn't even light up after pressing the power button.
With a charger plugged in, and the white light shining continously, pressing or holding the power buttton would briefly show the Windows logo, then the empty battery symbol and shut down again.

No amount of the following helped:
- pushing the power button
- holding the power button for 15s, or even longer
- holding the power and volume up key for 15s
- pressing Windows key+ctrl+shift+b
- disconnecting any peripherals
- unplugging/replugging the charger
- letting the surface charge for a few hours, before retrying.

Over night, the surface was left unplugged and suddenly this morning it booted up again, with the battery indicator at 100%, despite it not having been charged and it supposedly being empty the day before.

Is there any reason for this? Any way to prevent it?

Since I need to use the surface on a daily bases, it sporadically not working is a major issue.

Kind regards,

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
That's pretty strange, I could only speculate as to possible reasons.

I think it's important to note though that to force power off you should hold the power button for 30 seconds.

The Two Button Reset procedure is:
  1. Press and hold the power button for 30 seconds.
  2. After Surface turns off, press and hold volume-up button and the power button at the same time, for at least 15 seconds (The screen may flash the Surface logo before 15 seconds, but don’t release the buttons).
  3. After you release the buttons, wait for 10 seconds.
  4. Press and release the power button to turn the Surface on.

It's possible you didn't hold the power button long enough if you only went 15+ but not 30.

OP
S

SurfTheWavez

Thanks for the reply.

However, I'm back at the same problem.

The surface simply stays dead. I've tried the above mentioned method a few times, to no avail. There is absolutely no response from the surface. The screen stays black, not even the surface keyboard backlight goes on. Weird thing is, it used to work fine between those problematic days with no problem.

This happened 3 times in the last week and every single time, it happened after charging the surface to 100%.

It should not be a temperature problem either, as it's about 20°C indoors.

OP
S

SurfTheWavez

I'm not quite comfortable with freezing the surface :eek:

However, the problem keeps reappearing every few days, where it just won't boot at all for some time. So I might just end up trying that at some point.