What's new

Charger for SP3, 2 of them, No good after 8 months?

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
One came with yours?
Yes, and looking at it there's no way to put one on after manufacture, one side is closed and the cable is slipped through it, once assembly is complete you cannot get it on or off. I have only used it a couple of times. :)

Sanjay

The original charger that came with the Surface Pro 3 had a clip on it. But in spite of my using the clip, the cable ended up getting frayed at the point where it is joined to the magnetic connector. Most certainly a design flaw. Anyhow, it never occurred to me to call Microsoft, since I thought that physical damage would not be covered under warranty. So I ended up buying an original OEM charger from Amazon which is identical to the one that came with SP3 except that this one does not have a clip. To prevent the same problem from happening again not only am I being extra cautious and gentle in my handling the connector. But I have also taped the cable in a loop near the connector to prevent any stress on the point where the cable joins the connector. Quite shameful for Microsoft that we should have to resort to doing this. On the other hand it is good that they are sending replacements with no questions asked and without requiring that you send back the damaged charger.
PS: I called in my complaint regarding the charger today and Microsoft is shipping me a replacement. I figured I might as well get my replacement and have it as reserve.

Attachments

• SP3 Power Cable 2.jpg
    SP3 Power Cable 2.jpg
    96.2 KB · Views: 351