What's new

Character-by-character (as opposed to freehand)

lastfreedom

Hello,

I may be on the market for an SP3 (currently have a Samsung Series 7 Slate), but would like to know whether the handwriting panel supports character-by-character entry as opposed to freehand. I've heard one kludge is to write the first letter, wait for it to be recognized, then tap it to put the panel into character-by-character mode but is there a better way?

Thanks,

Matthew

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
To be honest the OSK is much faster than trying to ink in the input panel and is more accurate....

OP
L

lastfreedom

Unfortunately, I've become quite use to creating IT artifacts (class / sequence diagrams, code, etc.) using the stylus. Using the OSK (on screen keyboard?), I find I am swapping between that and the stylus too often when working in such a mode. I would prefer to use just the stylus if possible.

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
Handwriting recognition is also quite improved in Windows 8.x as well.... when I'm inking I ink even my labeling of diagrams....

leeshor

No way anyone could develop software that would understand my hen scratch no matter how hard I/they tried. ;)

malberttoo

No way anyone could develop software that would understand my hen scratch no matter how hard I/they tried. ;)

Ok well now you've got my curiosity aroused, and I apologize for asking the obvious, but... your Surface doesn't do well with your handwriting? I'm amazed at what it does with mine. :D

leeshor

Ok well now you've got my curiosity aroused, and I apologize for asking the obvious, but... your Surface doesn't do well with your handwriting? I'm amazed at what it does with mine. :D

I don't own a Surface but several of my customers do so I have used theirs, (mostly software installs and network config) and like I said, it couldn't understand my penmanship. Maybe the word "it" and "the". That's as far as it went. ;) I can't type well either. ;)

ctitanic

Well, I did not buy the keyboard and anything I have been posting here and anywhere have been handwritten.

Coming back to the initial question, you can write in print letters. There is not a letter by letter keyboard "Palm" style.

Deryl McCarty

hummm...is there a workaround to create a letter by letter conversion using the whole paragraph conversion in the insert pull down tab? Could you not force a memorization of twenty six of those and do a script for each letter so that when you lift your pen off the screen (or something like that) after you ink the letter "a" it translates from ink to, say, Tahoma 12 calligraphy letter A? The writer would certainly have to be pretty consistent and clear in his inking - kinda like the printing that you learn if you are taking drafting or general engineering (if they even do that in engineering schools anymore.) Every "e" looks the same in drafting so that no matter where on earth you go it is readable.