What's new

Buy Surface Pro 3 or wait for the new one?

CrippsCorner

So many deals for the i5 & i7... still waiting for the i3 to get some of discount, I think I'm going to be waiting a long time! Not for me but my mum, who really doesn't need a powerful machine.

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
All SP3 models are currently $100 off in the Microsoft store and Best Buy, I think everywhere. i3 is 699.

duanewillis

Traded in my SP1 Pro and my SP3 i7 has been shipped - the decision to wait occurred to me, but the expiring trade in offer on the table right now was pretty good...

I bought my sp3 when it first come out , since I work offshore and was fed up carrying a big laptop all over the place with me . sp3 has done everything I could ask it to , I will keep this till it no longer works so won't be upgrading for another few cycles yet

Cyb3rDud3

Nothing in the UK though :(
The UK did get a price drop. I know as I bought one the day the price drop was released.

Whilst I wanted to wait for the 4 I was also concerned it would be Core-M only and perhaps even less ports. The current model seems to work very well for me, so i am happy with my purchase.

CrippsCorner

Damn it! I even contacted Microsoft directly and they said there was nothing in the pipeline... must have missed that one then.

Cyb3rDud3

Damn it! I even contacted Microsoft directly and they said there was nothing in the pipeline... must have missed that one then.
Oddly enough the prices seem to have risen again. Two of my colleagues want one and when we were looking I was shocked the price has gone up again :eek:

CrippsCorner

Maybe there'll be a reduction before Windows 10/Surface Pro 4 comes out... but then it'll just make me want one of those instead lol.

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
Maybe there'll be a reduction before Windows 10/Surface Pro 4 comes out... but then it'll just make me want one of those instead lol.
New bundle available, SP3 + Type Cover + Sleeve + Office + MS Complete. $968 US for i3 bundle but you can pick any model SP3 you want.

Arizona Willie

I would recommend buying a SP I used and getting used to the tablet system and wait until the SP4 and then wait awhile longer to get feedback on the quality ... because SP 2 and 3 have had complaints about their quality and durability.

I've dropped my SP I 2 1/2 times and it landed flat on it's face but still works fine. Later version don't survive such treatment. You have to even be careful how you pick them up. If you pick them up by the top in the middle you risk cracking the screen but I've been doing that to my SPI for two years with no problem.

The 1/2 time I dropped it, I fell asleep with it on my lap and something startled me awake and it started falling to the floor but I grabbed it before it hit the floor with one hand. But I put a LOT of pressure on the screen with my thumb and the screen started flashing --- increasing and decreasing it's brightness and I thought I had ruined it -- but after a bit it straightened out and has been fine ever since.

I'm pretty sure that would have finished a SP3 or 4.

I'm looking forward myself to the SP4 -- IF -- it proves hardier and more reliable. I'm going to give my owner the SPI and buy a dock for it ( if I can find one ) to replace the 2007 laptop I have her using -- god is that thing slow, and I get the SP4. All she does is play games anyway. Doesn't need a lot of firepower. Once in awhile she googles stuff.

Love my SP I and hope the SP 4 turns out to be something special and worth waiting for.