What's new

Buy Surface Pro 3 or wait for the new one?

Galipoli

Hi Volks.

So I have a question to you guys. I`m a student and next year I will start a study. Now it`is the paper war i'm dealing with. Long story short, tablet for digital notepad and I choose the Surface.

But now I don`t know if I should buy the Microsoft Surface Pro 3 or wait for the 4 what do you guys think?
I mean there is still no release date for the Microsoft Surface Pro 4 right?

I would be happy if you guys also talk about your opinion with your experience to use the Surface Pro 3.
Thanks for the answers.

Martin

daniielrp

Hi Volks.

So I have a question to you guys. I`m a student and next year I will start a study. Now it`is the paper war i'm dealing with. Long story short, tablet for digital notepad and I choose the Surface.

But now I don`t know if I should buy the Microsoft Surface Pro 3 or wait for the 4 what do you guys think?
I mean there is still no release date for the Microsoft Surface Pro 4 right?

I would be happy if you guys also talk about your opinion with your experience to use the Surface Pro 3.
Thanks for the answers.

Martin

Depends when you need it. If Microsoft go the route of yearly updates it'll be June-ish when a SP4 surfaces (pun intended) - Do you need the device before then?
Waiting may also have the advantage of making the SP3's much cheaper too.

On the other side, the SP3 is as close to a perfect Windows portable as there ever has been, and would advise if you want to use one/try one just go ahead and get it.

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
It's been said we wont see an SP4 till Windows 10 is out so best case appears to be October-ish as long as the Windows 10 creek don't rise. :)

CrippsCorner

There might be more information about Surface Pro 4 come Build (29th April) if you can wait... personally, I tend to only buy a product in the first 6 months of its release, otherwise I end up with buyers remorse! However, as is often said, there really isn't a perfect time to buy :)

nalbagli

I had the same doubts, and ended up buying the SP3 a month ago, if you really can wait and have no hurry then I thing you should wait, in my case I wanted it before March so I bought the SP3 and have no regrets at all, it has been a great expierence, my Macbook Pro Retina has not been used since. Also I decided to buy it because the SP3 was a huge leap from the SP2, and I really think the SP4 will have only some minor updates, something like the SP1 to SP2 transition.

TeknoBlast

I would say get the Pro 3. It's a great device and you wont regret it. Just like someone else said, the difference between Pro 3 and 4 will probably be minimal, just like Pro 1 and 2 were.

And if you get it from Best Buy, let me know so I can give you my Rewards number so I can rack up some points, no not the credit card number. :)

benjitek

I think that's more about the reward points than an accurate product comparison -- the 4 will have a Broadwell chip for fanless and cooler operation, increased battery life, and a bit zippier. Definitely worth the wait if the need isn't immediate -- the 4 will be much more than a 'refresh'...

I would say get the Pro 3. It's a great device and you wont regret it. Just like someone else said, the difference between Pro 3 and 4 will probably be minimal, just like Pro 1 and 2 were.
:)
And if you get it from Best Buy, let me know so I can give you my Rewards number so I can rack up some points, no not the credit card number.

zhenya

The Broadwell update will not be a transition to fanless assuming they stick with the standard U-series chips. They would need to switch to the Y- series (Core-M) in order to go fanless which seems unlikely given the last couple of years of marketing the Pro as a full computer.

I think if they release the SP4 in the next few months it will get the equivalent Broadwell CPU's which should see a 20% or so battery life improvement. Maybe new cameras as well if they are smart. I would be very surprised to see a form factor change for this update.

Telstar1948

According to MS, no form factor change with the SP4. I really like my SP3. I can see that a few improvements would be reasonable - better camera (self focusing for those pesky receipts or other documents). There's always some improvements if you want to wait, but based on everything I'm hearing and reading I really don't expect the SP4 to be a game changer. So, suit yourself as to whether you can wait 6 months or more.