What's new

Best 2TB external USB 3.0 drive for SP3

jbowden

I follow mohcho and GreyFox7 suggestions. WD passport ultra will also give you hardware encryption option as well.

m98custom1212

Pick up probable 1tb or 2tb external and be done. They work fine on my surface pro 3.

Newegg or Amazon is my poison of choice.

I have this one for $12 more you can get 2tb version. I don't care about brands either I buy which ever is better deal. I have used Toshiba, Samsung, WD, and many others.

megatronium

Pick up probable 1tb or 2tb external and be done. They work fine on my surface pro 3.

Newegg or Amazon is my poison of choice.

I have this one for $12 more you can get 2tb version. I don't care about brands either I buy which ever is better deal. I have used Toshiba, Samsung, WD, and many others.

For $22 more. I had this one (1TB). The arm jumped the platter after a month and I never got my data back.

David Martinez

The SP3 powers my Toshiba 1TB external hd without any external power which makes me happy since that was the deal breaker for me. Also I don't think the usb port is as underpowered as everyone thinks. My blu-tooth headphones died and I charged it with that port.

bluegrass

As I sat at the gait waiting to board my plane a couple weeks ago, transferred files back and forth from an SD I had removed from my GoPro to my WD Passport drive without a problem. I also did some video editing of some other files I had on my WD drive. It was a sweet time killer waiting to board my plane. Even got a Wi-Fi connection and emailed some photos from my vacation. I had my Surface charger- power pack nearby but I didn't have to use it. I think I'll get one of the "Y" cables suggested above as part of my toolkit though. No telling if the 2 or 3 terabyte drives might need it. Mine was a 1 terabyte.

malberttoo

The SP3 powers my Toshiba 1TB external hd without any external power which makes me happy since that was the deal breaker for me. Also I don't think the usb port is as underpowered as everyone thinks. My blu-tooth headphones died and I charged it with that port.

I don't think it's "underpowered" either. All but one of my external hard drives work fine with it, but in the case of that one there is so much data on it was just easier for me to figure out how to power the thing externally.

I also charge my headset with the onboard USB port, no issues there.

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
I'll just throw out there that my portable DVD drive doesn't work, even for reading although it works on everything else I have. I believe I got it in 2010 so a newer one would likely use less power but still.... it just spins and flashes the light then stops and repeats; over and over.

OP
L

Len J

I'll just throw out there that my portable DVD drive doesn't work, even for reading although it works on everything else I have. I believe I got it in 2010 so a newer one would likely use less power but still.... it just spins and flashes the light then stops and repeats; over and over.

I was reading last night on line (unfortunately, I don't have the link) but sometime in the last couple of years, the power standards changed. Now most of the USB 3 ports and external devices run on under 500 vs the old standard of 1,000. (Whatever the measurement units are).

I get a Seagate delivered tonight...we will see.

Thanks all

Len

vancamp

My BD/DVD drive exhibits the same symptoms. With a y cable and a portable battery, it works fine. It's a brand new, top of the line, super slim drive, so it's not just big old drives that don't meet the available power budget.