What's new

Are the new Surface machines noticeably brighter than the Pro 3

I have the Surface Book and when it's sitting right next to my daughter's Surface Pro 3 with both devices at their max brightness, I notice the Pro 3 is much less bright than the Surface Book. Her device is now more than a year old - could it be the display itself or just the age? Has anyone else done a side-by-side comparison of the Pro 3 and one of the newer devices?

I am considering buying a new Microsoft tablet and I'm leaning towards the Surface Pro 3 but I much prefer a screen as bright as that of the Surface Book.

Thanks!

Jesse

crezam

I took my SP3 to the store and placed it side by side with a SP4. I can tell you the SP4 is waaay brighter. The colors look more vivid too. Seems they totally redid the display. I still won't upgrade just for that, I still can get some good use of my SP3, but if didn't have any device I would totally go for the SP4.

crezam

I have the Surface Book and when it's sitting right next to my daughter's Surface Pro 3 with both devices at their max brightness, I notice the Pro 3 is much less bright than the Surface Book. Her device is now more than a year old - could it be the display itself or just the age? Has anyone else done a side-by-side comparison of the Pro 3 and one of the newer devices?

I am considering buying a new Microsoft tablet and I'm leaning towards the Surface Pro 3 but I much prefer a screen as bright as that of the Surface Book.

Thanks!

Jesse
How do you like your Book? Would you recommend the upgrade from the Surface Pros?

sharpuser

Administrator
Staff member
I have the Surface Book and the Surface Pro 3. Book brighter and clearer by far.
Took the Book to the Microsoft Store to purchase Complete protection. Next to a Surface Pro 4, the Book is also a bit brighter.

OP
J

Jesse Segovia

How do you like your Book? Would you recommend the upgrade from the Surface Pros?
To be honest I took it back. It was giving me lots of problems - my last day with it, it crashed hard and it took me a long time to get it to boot up again. I'm sure I had a lemon - I guess I could've exchanged it for a new one but the bigger issue is I realized I need a 15" laptop - I just can't do lots of work on a smaller keyboard with smaller keys and the screen is great for a tablet but just not big enough for me for work with lots of separate windows open, lots of text to read and write, etc. I gave away my iPad thinking the SB would be my new laptop AND tablet but when I took back the SB I bought a Surface Pro 3 to be my new tablet for media and work on the go which means email, Office, web browsing, etc. So far I'm digging it - so much easier to do actual work on the Surface Pro than on the iPad - but I am also having some issues with the Pro 3 so we'll see.

OP
J

Jesse Segovia

I have the Surface Book and the Surface Pro 3. Book brighter and clearer by far.
Took the Book to the Microsoft Store to purchase Complete protection. Next to a Surface Pro 4, the Book is also a bit brighter.
I took the Surface Book back and I bought the entry level Surface Pro 3 which is a fine work and fun tablet and a lot cheaper than my iPad, but I really miss that amazing, bright, crisp screen on the SB. When I'm reading or watching a video on the SP3 with the tablet close to my face it just isn't the very best - when I held the SB up close to my face it was awesome! With some of the issues I've having on the SP3 (battery life not what I expected, glitches with installs, configuration, screen hiccups and the machine being completely non-responsive for up to twenty or thirty seconds) I'm thinking hard about taking it back for an SP4.