What's new

Anyone dare install Win 11 beta on their Surface Pro 6?

Turbo4AWD

Any major issues with the SP 6 on Win 11 beta? I wonder now that Tablet mode is gone I may not like Win 11 on my SP6.

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
I've seen where people have installed it on every Surface device possible ... Only the Surface RT and Surface 2 cannot run it. The Insider build has restrictions removed so it will install on anything else. What the final version will run on is yet to be known.

As for Tablet Mode, it's my understanding they improved touch when a keyboard is not attached thereby making Tablet Mode unnecessary. I haven't tried it yet so I can't speak from experience. Much has been made of Tablet Mode going away but I think it's the wrong message/a misunderstanding. It's more that it's all seamlessly integrated now. Yes, technically there is no Tablet Mode but the functionality is supposed to be superior.

If the SP6 is not your main device, make an image backup with Macrium Reflect and give it a try...

dunsky

I've tried it on my Surface Pro 2017 i7 today. Looks really damn good and feels so nice! But lots of bugs, especially in third party apps. So I don't recommend to set it up for now if you are using your machine for work.

RayR

I have Win 11 Beta on a Surface Pro 6 and it works fine apart from a few minor glitches. And tablet mode has not gone. It is now built in and automatic. Fold the keyboard back under the device or remove it, and the Surface changes into tablet mode.

SteelSteve

Running on Surface Pro 6 i5 128. There are some problems with accessing Windows Defender but a quick google search helped me correct that issue. So far performance and battery seem to be about the same so the SP6 can handle it as far as I can tell.

sharpuser

Administrator
Staff member
On my Surface Book 2 I made sure I have the same or equivalent startup apps and services for Windows 11 as I did for Windows 10. I have a second Surface Book 2 still on Windows 10 for direct comparison.

Startup takes 9 seconds on Windows 11 compared to 19 seconds with Windows 10.

It indeed seems Windows 11 is a complete re-write/overhaul of the OS, not merely patches.

OP
T

Turbo4AWD

Keeping my Death Grip on Windows 10 on my Surface Pro 6, lol! Not switching over until the official release!!

wpcoe

I'll up the ante on the thread title: Anybody going to install Win11 on their SP6 after the official release tomorrow?

OP
T

Turbo4AWD

I'll up the ante on the thread title: Anybody going to install Win11 on their SP6 after the official release tomorrow?
Ha! Maybe the week AFTER the official release tomorrow...lol. I'm not taking that chance just yet. I'm going to wait and read all the news articles about bricked Surfaces, etc before trying to install it myself.

wpcoe

Well, I didn't wait. Apparently once New Zealand passed midnight on their 05-Oct, the Microsoft servers made the Win11 ISOs available. Against my left-brain caution, I downloaded Win11_English_x64.iso and did an in-place upgrade on my SP6. From clicking the setup.exe file it took a little over 40 minutes to reach a usable Desktop.

I had been using the Insider Preview (Dev) releases, so there's nothing new to see. I had been running the previews in a VM, though, so this is the first time on the "actual" SP6.

If I experience any instability or other weirdness, I will wipe the drive and do a clean install, but so far the in-place upgrade seems stable. Hopefully you will not hear from me about a bricked SP6.

OP
T

Turbo4AWD

lol, ok, good to know. I'm waiting until next week just because I am going to have a death grip on Windows 10, lol. I LOVE WINDOWS 10....hate to see it is going away already. Really worried Windows 11 isn't going to be "up to snuff".

Maybe after my Surface Pro 6 WIndows 11 experience, I may decide to update all of my other machines to Windows 11....we shall see...