What's new

Windows 10 Preview on Surface Pro 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

wynand32

I am completely stymied. Nothing I do will allow me to boot my SP3 from a USB drive. I've put the ISO on two different drives using Microsoft's USB DVD Download Tool. Both USBs boot my Lenovo laptop to the installer, but nothing I can do will make my SP3 boot from either of the USB drives. I try the volume down reboot from a cold start, and booting from the recovery screen in Windows.

The last time I did this was after I reinstalled Win 8.1 from the downloaded recovery image after deciding I didn't want to use the original release of Win 10. Worked perfectly.

Any ideas what I'm doing wrong?

One thing to check: make sure your USB drive is formatted as FAT32. UEFI requires it, not NTFS.

wynand32

So, completely restored my SP3 to factory to get rid of my old Win10/Win8.1 dual boot. Complete pain; had to download the factory restore image from Surface support and blow everything away to get it done. That was complicated by a Microsoft system glitch that hid my SP3 registration from me, so I couldn't download the image for about two hours. Grrr. Things were fixed eventually and I was able to restore Win8.1, then I upgraded to 9926 from there.

Overall I'm liking the direction Microsoft is heading in here. But, so far, I'm having a number of issues with this build:

1. My fan is running like a jet engine, as some others have noted. I'm hoping it settles down after all of the initial install tasks are completed. Otherwise, that alone will force me back to Win8.1.

2. A number of Store apps won't install, e.g., Kindle and Stumbleupon. I get error 0x080070003 (think that's it). Not sure what the issue is there, if it's the app or Store.

3. I can't connect to my WD MyCloud Mirror NAS. Get an error about not having permissions. If I can't resolve that one, again, I'll be heading back to Win8.1.

4. The system seems generally unstable. Lots of apps just crash randomly, for example Mail when maximizing from the taskbar.

5. Playing YouTube videos crashes IE hard. I can switch to Chrome in the meantime, but I've grown accustomed to IE (believe it or not) not the least because of the nice syncing with Windows Phone. Won't force me back to Win8.1, but I'd rather it worked.

6. Live Tiles don't seem to update correctly. For example, read emails in Mail don't clear out.

So, after no using Win10 for awhile and being very hopeful for this build, I'm a bit surprised at the regression in stability and reliability. Don't know _why_ I'm surprised, because this is a pretty massive undertaking that's still in remarkably early stages for a release yet this year. But, there you have it.

Last edited:
OP
sharpuser

sharpuser

Administrator
Staff member
@wynand32,

You may need a "Refresh" from PC Settings / Update and Restore

Meanwhile, here is the "verify", just in case that is part of your problems.

Screenshot (14).png

wynand32

@wynand32,

You may need a "Refresh" from PC Settings / Update and Restore

Meanwhile, here is the "verify", just in case that is part of your problems.

Okay, thanks. Checked, and no apparent need to verify. And, when I try to run the reset, it says to insert media due to some missing files. No media to insert, though, of course (tried running with the USB I used to provide the Win10 ISO that I used for the upgrade).

Wondering: could the reset issue (and others) be due to my using an ISO rather than running the upgrade from the Web? Maybe then the media would be available... Hmm...

OP
sharpuser

sharpuser

Administrator
Staff member
Ahhh, yes. Do that reset. Probably some vital steps which the install scripts could not accomplish.

OP
sharpuser

sharpuser

Administrator
Staff member
To Windows 10 Technical Preview users:
I had three hardware updates AFTER the new Build was installed. Be sure to do those.

I like the new context (right-click) menus for items on the Taskbar. Smart
Screenshot (18).png

Screenshot (19).png

Screenshot (20).png
:

mcsenerd

All I've got to say is that if this is "continuum", then I'm sorely disappointed. Still feel forced to use Chrome because of lack of touch support in non-Metro IE. Taskbar still sucks up valuable real estate and auto-hide behavior is enough to lead one to tears. Don't really care what much of anyone says, but getting into app commands in various Metro style apps is even worse than before (I didn't think that was possible). Even with the keyboard detached, I'm having to go into settings and toggle "tablet mode" manually (I'm running the preview on a SP2). Even in tablet mode though...I personally find it to be a poor attempt at what the original intention of the metro interface should have been. Instead of tablet mode they should call it "maximize" button forcer, because as far as I can tell that's pretty much it's primary function. Herein lies the issue between "touch" folks and "mice" people... There is more to a true touch interface than just making the dang app big and taking up the whole screen. The entire gamut of application functionality should still be exposed in such a way that it is possible to drive the entire app without needing a mouse and keyboard at all...and it should be intuitive and not contrived.

New swipe in behavior is for me kinda...meh. I never had much issue with previous behavior, but the notifications dock seems ok and I'll say that I do think the layout of the system settings is nice and seems to make more sense. It certainly is a bit buggy in some instances where when the on-screen keyboard is present the notification area didn't scale at all and the buttons ended up hidden behind the keyboard...and also a few times where touching certain notifications didn't properly launch the associated app.

I'm still unswayed from my opinion that this OS is a total step backward for touch computing interfaces in most ways. Mouse/Keyboard guys...great. Phone users...dunno, might be good too. Surfaces and other "dual mode" devices? I'm not so sure anything here is "real" improvement, but I'll still hold out final judgement until the real product is closer to getting out the door.

Bigwillee

Just downloaded Windows 10, I'm loving it. Here are a few observations:

1. XTU works after restarts! With windows 8, my XTU wouldn't automatically start, but now my undervolted values stick. This is huge for me.

2. Spent some time playing league of legends, seems to run cooler and more efficient for me. Just by a few degrees.

3. Crashed once. But not sure if it was league or windows. It actually might have been league, so besides that, it's been pretty awesome so far.

Status
Not open for further replies.