What's new

Windows 10 Preview on Surface Pro 3

Status
Not open for further replies.
Someone else get a memory error by signing-out?

And where are my Sign-in options? Someone have found it?

I get referenced memory errors when I go to reboot or shutdown on 10130, but not any prior versions.
It removed my PIN login and had to go back to recreate it.

Anyone know of any workarounds for the SAFE_OS phase error? I've seen a suggestion of deleting all partitions etc, but am unsure of how to do so. Doing an advanced reboot and selecting boot from usb does nothing, just loads up windows as normal.

I put the 10130 on mine last night. Install was smooth and easy, BUT too many things just still don't work right that I'm taking it back to 8.2

1. New mail app is fine, but won't work with iCloud mail and you can't even get to the real settings to try to fix that.
2. Tapatalk still crashes, this has been true for many of the releases.
3. Can't log in with PIN even though I've set it to. Doesn't even offer it as an option except in 'settings'
4. The Spartan Project doesn't do plugins or extensions from what I see
5. And as has been noted, the pen won't pull up OneNote and the spiral ink menu seems to be gone.

Overall they've cleaned it up quite well, but from a user that primarily uses touch, it isn't an improvement from 8.1 IMO.

Yeah I really like the new mail app over the Win8.1 version.
I had the PIN issue, but was able to fix that. I have a new issue that the screen will not turn off the backlights when I hit the power button (to sleep) or close the typecover. The screen acts like it turns off and goes back to the regular login screen when I hit the power a 2nd time.

PIN fix

To repair your PIN & picture password:

1. Open File Explorer and browse to this location:
C:\Windows\ServiceProfiles\LocalService\AppData\Local\Microsoft\NGC

1. Delete everything within that folder
  2. Go to Settings-> Accounts->Sign-in Options
  3. Click Add a PIN again and set your PIN
  4. PIN sign in should work going forward

PIN fix

To repair your PIN & picture password:

1. Open File Explorer and browse to this location:
C:\Windows\ServiceProfiles\LocalService\AppData\Local\Microsoft\NGC

1. Delete everything within that folder
  2. Go to Settings-> Accounts->Sign-in Options
  3. Click Add a PIN again and set your PIN
  4. PIN sign in should work going forward
Awesome.....thanks

folks, make sure you use the FEEDBACK app and file bug reports and/or click the +ME TOO's. Lets make sure our issues get fixed for next test release. :)

So, my biggest issues so far with 10130 on my SP3:

1. There's no way in third-party universal apps to access settings while in tablet mode. Swipe-down doesn't work, and I can't see any other way.
  2. There are no notification settings for any apps other than Mail and Settings. I think notifications are working, it's just the settings that are missing. Not occurring on my desktop.
  3. Changing tile size isn't working for some/all apps. Try to change to wide, only half show up and the controls (unpin, options) aren't accessible. Have to unpin from app list. Not occurring on my desktop.
  4. Fan is running. Not jet-like, more like constant low-RPMs.
#1 is the real deal-breaker in this build. #2 & #3 might be the result of a bad upgrade. #4 is expected at this point for Win10, and hopefully will resolve once the debug bits are removed. I do expect better performance with the shipping version for this reason alone.

Anyone else having the no slideshow for background issue? thinking of doing a clean install from the ISO...

The one strange thing I keep running into, and it's not isolated to just Windows 10, is that when I sign in the first time on any of my computers, the Mail app will re-add all of my email accounts (including ones that I've told it to "Remove" and "from all synced"). Then those restored accounts show up on my other devices.

Example:
Surface Pro 3 running Windows 8.1 - I removed 3 old work email accounts
HP laptop clean install Windows 10 v.10130 - sign in and open Mail and it only shows the Outlook.com account (no work, no gmail, no iCloud, and others I have).
I go back to SP3 and now the Mail account has the old work ones again. It only comes back when I do installs of Win10, but affects W8 too.
Then clean install on my MacBook Air in VirtualBox and SP3 again has those restored. But, they don't appear in W10's Mail app for me to remove.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back