What's new

Will SP3 Power a USB BD-Writer?

ctitanic

You will need a Y cable to power the drive from the Power adapter and from the SP3. This has been discussed in another thread.

Welcome aboard!

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
Check out this thread
http://www.surfaceforums.net/threads/dvd-rw-external-drive-for-surface-pro-or-surface-pro-2.8558/

Bottom line is YMMV. if you find its problematic as alternative to be safe you may want to look for a powered USB hub or USB battery pack depending on intended use. of course the SP3 power brick has a USB power port on it so all you need is a USB Y cable and plug one connector into the brick if necessary.

Some people have reported reading is ok but writing is unreliable. The total power output and draw of devices does vary a bit so what works for some may not in every situation.

If you dig you can find how much power one of these draws but I didn't see it on a cursory look.

Last edited:
OP
A

Andycam

Thanks, guys!
It looks like it comes with a standard USB-MiniUSB cable. But not sure about its power consumption. Might be able to use my phone charger then (2.1A) with a Y cable?

BTW: Not looking to write discs, just play.

Did do a search first, but none of the threads were wery conclusive. But if I can use my phone charger (which I'd always bring anyway), I'll be happy with that. :)

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
Thanks, guys!
It looks like it comes with a standard USB-MiniUSB cable. But not sure about its power consumption. Might be able to use my phone charger then (2.1A) with a Y cable?

BTW: Not looking to write discs, just play.

Did do a search first, but none of the threads were wery conclusive. But if I can use my phone charger (which I'd always bring anyway), I'll be happy with that. :)
Sounds like the phone charger would work as long as you get a Y cable with the right connections. If the phone charger has a standard USB connector you need a Y cable with mini to 2 standard connections or an adapter like this although you might also find a cheaper one.

Last edited:

jmdrizen

Why would you need a Y Cable? I use the SE-506 with the supplied cable on the SP1...? I'm awaiting delivery of my SP3 so can't say for sure, but if it worked on the 1, why would it not work on the 3? I haven't completed blu-ray burning with it yet, but have played BR and recorded on CD and DVD with it without issue...

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
Why would you need a Y Cable? I use the SE-506 with the supplied cable on the SP1...? I'm awaiting delivery of my SP3 so can't say for sure, but if it worked on the 1, why would it not work on the 3? I haven't completed blu-ray burning with it yet, but have played BR and recorded on CD and DVD with it without issue...
I'm not saying it wont work, but I'm not saying it will either. in case it doesn't then you need a Y cable or you can keep trying different devices until you get one that works. I have a drive some people say will work but it doesn't even though I use it with my laptop. YMMV.

Last edited:

DanL

Adding to what GreyFox7 said, I believe the USB power output on the SP3 is lower than the SP1. In my experience it will play OK with the supplied cable, but you will need the Y-cable to write.

OP
A

Andycam

Have both the SP3 and SE506CB on order now, so guess I'll find out. :)
Looks to me as the CB version will power with only the one USB.

If not, I have also an Y cable on the way from "ebay" for just a couple of $.
I'll report as soon as everything is here. End of August.. :-/

BTW also had an SP1 before, but sold it while waiting for the SP3.

OP
A

Andycam

Now I know!
The SP3 will Power it With its one USB port perfectly well. :)
Just tested viewing a BD Movie and it looks great on the screen.

Have not tried writing, though. But that is not so important for me.

jmdrizen

Now I know!
The SP3 will Power it With its one USB port perfectly well. :)
Just tested viewing a BD Movie and it looks great on the screen.

Have not tried writing, though. But that is not so important for me.

I've used the drive also to install applications from DVD... so no problems with the read.... will test writing later...