What's new

WILL A SURFACE PRO OR PRO 2 WORK WITH JUST AC IF BATTERY IS DEAD AT 0 %

namor

Just wondering about a scenario where ones surface pro /pro 2 or any surface tablet has a dead battery , will the tablet work on ac or is it an open circuit once the battery goes

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
I'd say if the battery has fully died and won't charge at all it probably won't come on. I base this on running your battery down to zero and then plugging in... You usually have to wait a bit before it will turn on. That little bit of charge seems essential to coming up so I don't think you can boot if the battery is actually dead.

OP
N

namor

Thanks GreyFox, I k now with my 8 inch Dell venue pro 8 tablet that once I take the battery out and plug in its ac adapter it wont work. I talked to an Apple saleman 10 years ago and he said that if their ipad batteries go zero voltage then its an open circuit and the ac adapter is useless

It be good to get a froum reply from an owner of a Microsoft surface Pro 1 or 2 or any surface model experiencing an absolute dead zero volt battery and still getting it to run on the AC adapter . These tablets cant be opened up , they're disposable and not worth the high cost ( may be $200 or more with labour ) getting Microsoft to open and replace the battery. Luckily my pro 1 has few cycles at 36 and 94% of its original mAH

ScottyS

batteries go zero voltage then its an open circuit and the ac adapter is useless
These answers make sense but it's a shame, it means these are truly disposable devices. I have an old SP that doesn't always turn on and a SP3 with swelling and screen separation so they'd no good to give away, but would be nice to be able to use as a back-up, to get on the Web to get answers, if my main computer won't boot.

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
These answers make sense but it's a shame, it means these are truly disposable devices. I have an old SP that doesn't always turn on and a SP3 with swelling and screen separation so they'd no good to give away, but would be nice to be able to use as a back-up, to get on the Web to get answers, if my main computer won't boot.
The swelling device should either be disposed of or repaired and the old battery disposed of, it's a fire hazard. The only safe storage for it is in a bucket of sand.

Microsoft may even provide the bucket... if you check.

ScottyS

The swelling device should either be disposed of or repaired and the old battery disposed of, it's a fire hazard. The only safe storage for it is in a bucket of sand.

Microsoft may even provide the bucket... if you check.
Yeah, I was afraid of that. Will keep it in a safe place (like outside away from anything) until I can take it to a MS store, they did say they'd dispose of it for me.