What's new

Why Did You Buy Your Surface Pro and How Do You Use It?

Genghis Khan

For office productivity. I used to pack Android tablets and phones with office files that crawled whenever I need to access them. Not quite handy even with a bluetooth keyboard and mouse. With the SP3 processing power, it could do what a laptop or notebook can do.

Now, I use my laptop and desktop sparingly.

jaekqubp

I purchased my Surface Pro I used, a few months back. My primary motivation for the purchase was for illustration and design. The Wacom technology is definitely a chief selling point for artists. Incidentally, I use the device mostly for note-taking in OneNote, PDF Annotation, eBook reading, and general consumption, right now. I'm a freelance illustrator and designer type guy, and also a student--right now, I am more student, than working artist. I plan to use it more exclusively as a creation tool in the near future, as time permits. I haven't adopted the device as a desktop replacement, or laptop replacement, thus far. This is mostly because I find the storage space, screen size, and keyboard* limiting. *I currently have the original touch keyboard. I feel that an upgrade to the type, or power, keyboard might improve productivity on the go.

Nucleon

1. Art digitizer; Drawing, digital art + graphic design
2. Powerful tablet / laptop replacement
3. Light, very portable
4. Amazing for notes

Joette

Wanted something to replace my laptop that was lighter for carrying around when traveling for both work and pleasure, as it goes everywhere I go, and hubby was tired of lugging my heavier laptop.

The tablet I had just wouldn't run the software I needed for work, even if it did work for other things, so this takes care of both work and everything else. I hope it holds up as well as I the rest of my laptops have over the years; we'll see.

RogerB

My Samsung laptop which has served me well for 5 or so years is showing signs of age. I needed something new and in this age of tablets and IPads I wanted something similar.

I didn't want to go down the Apple route being familiar with Windows. With the coming of Windows 10 I decided to go for the Surface Pro 3. It came with 8.1 but as soon as I set it up I was able to upgrade to 10. I think I'm going to like my Surface and Windows 10. I'll also buy a docking station to increase connectivity and versatility.

RogerB

CrippsCorner

If you want one, be quick as Amazon have 35% off docking stations at the moment :)

Edit: Just noticed you're in Scotland... sorry! So used to people being from the US on here.

BOBEL

I am a x RT user had to get the sp3 because this is one of the best tablet on the
Market. In the first days of the RT I saw the well put together Microsoft has
Put into it well made. I use the sp3 to replace my laptop and well it did
I. use it for teaching computer basic lessons.
The old RT is still a good system for what you are going to use it for. But
The sp3 has taken over the show.

RogerB

If you want one, be quick as Amazon have 35% off docking stations at the moment :)

Edit: Just noticed you're in Scotland... sorry! So used to people being from the US on here.

That's ok.
Not sure if there is a similar forum here in UK. I'm sure questions, issues or comments will be the same wherever we live.

CrippsCorner

Yup there are plenty of UK users on here, me included! By the way, love Edinburgh, must go back one day :) 840 mile round trip from mine though lol.

BerryAl

I bought it for the OneNote inking, having a small touch-screen device running desktop OS and for playing games. Yes, I bought a Surface Pro 2 as my main gaming device. 640x480 is the way to GO. (CS GO)

rockface

Starting a new business to help artists find places to show and sell their art and need a portable solution to do web development and show how the system works to artists, venues and art curators.

P.S. I think the charging brick for my 4th Gen i7 weighs more than the SP!

Last edited: