What's new

What Are Your SD Card Slot Read/Write Times? Mine R Slowwww....

leeshor

R/W speeds depend on a number of factors not the least of which what type of virus protection you use, what active tiles are doing, if the system is otherwise doing other maintenance etc. Not many people talk about IRQs any more but there are just some many things that can be shared on any given channel/IRQ/HUB before something suffers.

When all I need to do is get an image of a system or transfer multiple GB of data I temporarily disable the virus protection. It can improve transfer times by 20% 0r more.

OP
ChrisPanzer

ChrisPanzer

I use windows defender/MSE.

Not exactly bloatware.

I just used CrystalDiskMark and it's just ashtonishing to me how the design could allow for an +/- 500mb read and 250mb write time with the SSD, then drop to a 40MB read/15 MB write time for the SDCard... I dont have the raw data to back it up, but i KNOW I've used inferior-to-the-SP3 devices in the past with a much more seemingly higher read/write times with the SDcard slot. You'd think they would've taken strides to implement next-gen or better-than-avg technology within the SDCard assembly... Only thing I can liken it to is like putting a Ford alternator in a Ferrari. oh well.

It's just kinda like, welp, forget about using the SDCard slot for anything other than texts files.:p

Last edited:

bluegrass

It serves a very useful purpose for storing any data files without needed to slip in a thumb drive and it's completely hidden and out of the way. Have you tried streaming a movie from the SD slot?

KGreb

The SP3 is not the limiting factor in performance with the currently available micro SD cards. The limiting factor is the speed of the micro SD card itself. I'm seeing >80+MB/sec sustained transfer with a 128GB Lexar card rated at 95MB/sec peak. Unfortunately most of the offerings in this size are only good for ~30MB/sec.

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
The SP3 is not the limiting factor in performance with the currently available micro SD cards. The limiting factor is the speed of the micro SD card itself. I'm seeing >80+MB/sec sustained transfer with a 128GB Lexar card rated at 95MB/sec peak. Unfortunately most of the offerings in this size are only good for ~30MB/sec.
Perhaps one should not buy cheap knock offs on eBay either. :)

The technology isn't necessarily limited by throughput as there are some with up to 90MB/s, but rather I/O capability is quit limited with SD-Cards. You notice the quickness more with an SSD that does 70-80K IO/s than with it's sheer 300MB/s read/write.