What's new

Touch screen issues

I have searched for this but struggled to find anything regarding the Surface Book exclusively.
My touch screen becomes unresponsive at (not sure if random) times, does not register any touches at all but power and volume buttons are still functional. I can say that it happens sometimes after going to sleep and come back multiple times in the day but not really sure if that's the problem that is causing it. When I restart it works fine but it's frustrating to realise when I detach the clipboard that touch is not working so having to reattach to use trackpad to restart it.
Is this a known issue? Does anyone else suffer from such problem?

mtmowl

I have searched for this but struggled to find anything regarding the Surface Book exclusively.
My touch screen becomes unresponsive at (not sure if random) times, does not register any touches at all but power and volume buttons are still functional. I can say that it happens sometimes after going to sleep and come back multiple times in the day but not really sure if that's the problem that is causing it. When I restart it works fine but it's frustrating to realise when I detach the clipboard that touch is not working so having to reattach to use trackpad to restart it.
Is this a known issue? Does anyone else suffer from such problem?

Yes to all of the above. Both the clipboard and keyboard lock up.
It just happened upon trying to read this post, and I had to do a deep restart. Sometimes it seems to respond to detaching the clipboard, other times not. I wonder if it is sometimes related to some kind of update happening in the background.
At any rate, it's annoying and embarrassing to be teaching a roomful of students with Macs and have my fancy new Surface Book fail. Not a good lesson, I'd say.

sharpuser

Administrator
Staff member
This is a known issue.
Microsoft has apologized, and is working on a solution.

Meanwhile, when it happens, detach the screen. Immediately re-attach.

I haven't had this happen on my Surface Book i7/16/512 since installing Insider Preview 11102. I am now on 14251.

myoder2

Any other ideas on getting the touch screen to respond?

I have tried restarting, 2 button restarting, resetting and keeping files, resetting and wiping the whole computer, and detaching and attaching the screen and my touch screen on my surface book will still not respond. I have also tried installing past drivers and calibrating the touch screen and neither work.

I just recently bought the surface book and I believe I am still in a period where I can take it back and hopefully they will give me a replacement. I'm wondering if that is going to be a better option?

sharpuser

Administrator
Staff member
@myoder2

You've just been through all necessary diagnostics.
Your machine is sour. Like a lemon.
Take it back, and get a replacement. Happiness, and the sweet smell of new electronics awaits you.