What's new

Surface RT with startup error code 0x00000101

Hello

My name is Arnaud.
We found our old Surface RT whichhas not been used during several years) but it isimpossible to restart it.
Indeed, the "Surface" logo appeared but with an error message on the top left area corner and the Surface is rebooting non-stop...

I tried to start on a recovery USB key but not possible to reinitialize the surface as my bitlock linked to my user key is not working !
i tried to repair windows but it isnot working.

I am totally blocked and I need your help...
I would like to give this surface to our child.

Thank you in advance,

1646934773336.jpg

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
ok, the 0x00000101 error seems to be a watchdog timeout
/not seriously, the dog was bad and we set him in the corner for a timeout or the dog was watching for something but it never happened, he got tired and left his post. /not seriously

the USB thing might work ... however, without the recovery key you need to "skip" recovery which would leave the drive encrypted BUT you can then proceed to wipe the drive and restore the image back to factory new condition.

your recovery key would be in your Microsoft account. Sign in to your Microsoft account If you didn't use a Microsoft account it would have asked you to save it to USB ... which you probably don't have so use the "skip" option.

the caveat is it's possible the eMMC storage has failed in which case none of this will work.

OP
A

Arnaud TORREILLES

thank you for your feedback.
I can access to the USB recovery menu mode but no way to skip it so I need to enter the Key but it is not working.
Furthermore, is it possible to lock a windows key?

Nom de l’appareilID de la cléClé de récupérationLecteurDate de téléchargement de la clé
xxxxxxXXXXXXXXXXXXXX0-XXXXXX-XXXXXX-XXXXXX-XXXXXX-XXXXXXOSVInvalid DateSupprimer

what is the eMMC strorage?

sharpuser

Administrator
Staff member
The eMMC is the embedded multimedia card (processor). It serves as a storage device to assist the main processor. Must be functioning for the PC to work.

I can't think of any reason that card would go bad while the Surface is merely aging on the shelf and not being used.

Make sure you do not have any portable storage devices connected to your Surface RT. Also, if possible, connect power directly to the screen with no keyboard.

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
Going from memory here but I believe this applies to the RT as well ... If you boot to a USB Recovery Drive you would get Prompted for the BitLocker recovery key ... down on the lower part of the screen there's ... skip ... meaning skip BitLocker recovery. After that, I believe you have to navigate to where you can delete the partitions then the Recovery can proceed and install everything fresh.

here's someone that had a similar question ... these steps may be more accurate than my recollection ...

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us...cker-key/dc9742c5-bcd8-4a34-93ea-accbaf97aadd

see if that gets you over the hump... If not I'm sure we can find the detailed steps to get there.

I've had several flash drives fail on me just sitting in the drawer and eMMC storage is very similar although perhaps a bit more robust. If it's dead you probably won't even be able to clear the partitions and it would be very unlikely to complete the recovery so if it gets that far you're probably golden.

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
Here are the Steps extracted from the Official Microsoft Support Document.

Refresh or reset Surface RT or Surface 2

Reset from USB recovery media​

Note: To learn how to create a USB recovery drive, see Create a USB recovery drive or Download a recovery image for your Surface.
Reset your Surface from the USB recovery drive by following these steps:

1. Shut down your Surface and plug it in so you don’t run out of power during the refresh.
  2. Insert the USB recovery drive into the USB port.
  3. Press and hold the volume-down button while you press and release the power button. When the Surface logo appears, release the volume-down button.
  4. When prompted, select the language and keyboard layout you want.
  5. Select Troubleshoot > Reset your PC.
  6. If prompted for a recovery key, select Skip this drive at the bottom of the screen.
  7. Select the operating system you want to reset. This refers to the current operating system installed on your Surface.
  8. Select Yes, repartition the drives. On the next page, select Next.
  9. Choose either Just remove my files or Fully clean the drive.
    The option to clean the drive is more secure but takes much longer. For example, if you are recycling your Surface, you should clean the drive. If you are keeping your Surface, you just need to remove your files.
  10. Select Reset.
    Surface restarts and the Surface logo appears while the reset process continues (this can take several minutes).
  11. Surface 2 only: After restart, your Surface may prompt you to clear the TPM (Trusted Platform Module). Press F12 or the volume-up button to clear the TPM.

After the reset​

Here’s what to do after you’ve reset your Surface:

• Complete the Surface setup steps, including selecting your region and language.
  • Sign in with the same Microsoft account you were using before so that things like the Windows apps you purchased will be available to reinstall. For more info, see All about accounts.
  • Check for important updates. See Install Surface and Windows updates.
  • Reinstall Windows apps:
    1. Go to Start , and select Microsoft Store > Account > My apps.
    2. Select the apps you want to install, and select Install.

OP
A

Arnaud TORREILLES

Thank you for your feedback.

Furthermore, I don't have "skip this drive" at the bottom of the screen
1647022791358.jpg

Anyway, I selected "Restore this PC" but it was not successful, refer to the video and error message

I tried to do a "local repair" but not successful too...
1647023029188.jpg

1647023029169.jpg

I am totally lost and I found stupid to trash this surface, it can be usefull for my kids or someone else.... :(

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
so from the first screen above use the bottom option ... Advanced Options in English.
Then choose Command Prompt.
after that I get a prompt to enter the Recovery Key at the bottom of the screen is skip.
however, if you don't get this prompt it probably could not access the drive. I'm not sure exactly how it would behave.

on mine, I hit ... "Skip this drive"

then the command prompt appears.

type DISKPART and press enter

it should respond with ...
Microsoft Diskpart version 6.3.9600
copyright ... ...
on computer ... ...

type LIST DISK enter
if it's working you should see two disks listed
disk ### Status Size
disk 0 online 58GB ... --- this is the internal drive
disk 1 online xxxxxMB --- this is the USB

type SELECT DISK 0 enter

Disk 0 is now the selected disk

type LIST PARTITION enter

(I get a list of 5 partitions)
partition 1 recovery ....
partition 2 System ....
partition 3 reserved ...
partition 4 Primary ... 55GB
partition 5 recovery

IF YOU GET THIS I THINK IT SHOULD BE RECOVERABLE ... maybe ...

If you do not get these results it would indicate the disk has failed.

if you got this far you can issue an EXIT command then another EXIT or just power off and let us know what happened.

OP
A

Arnaud TORREILLES

Hello GreyFox

Thank you for your feedback.
I tried what you mentioned but "LIST DISK" is not working...

Do you think that it indicated a failed disk?

Thank you

Attachments

• 1647798749112.jpg
    1647798749112.jpg
    685.2 KB · Views: 149
  • 1647798749061.jpg
    1647798749061.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 153

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
you have to start Diskpart first ... it's interactive... one you're in diskpart then you can do the other commands.
example:
>Diskpart
Microsoft Diskpart version 6.3.9600
copyright ... ...
on computer ... ...

>List Disk
disk ### Status Size
disk 0 online xxGB ...
disk 1 online xxxxxMB ...

Note you should see 2 disks 0 & 1... 0 should be the internal disk if it shows up. 1 should be the USB, the sizes should be appropriate for the disk. if you see 2 then the next command would select the internal disk. if you only see 1 then the internal disk has likely failed.
> SELECT DISK 0
Disk 0 is now the selected disk

>List Partition
partition 1 recovery ....
partition 2 System ....
partition 3 reserved ...
partition 4 Primary ... 55GB
partition 5 recovery