What's new

Surface Pro x alternatives if no SP5

jrioux

Yeah looks good from a distance but in-depth look paints a different story if you are used to a SP.
When you consider the price and the specs, the Chuwi looks like a pretty good deal to me. But it's like comparing a Kia Forte to a BMW.

The Chuwi's Celeron N3450 appears to be about 10% slower/less powerful than the M3 in the SP4, which is now $699. So you pay over 50% less for a heavier, lower quality machine that should be able to do the same job.

I'd seriously consider the Chuwi if I was in the market for a $300-$400 machine. I'd wait, though, to see what Acer's $400 Switch 3 is like.

MickeyLittle

When you consider the price and the specs, the Chuwi looks like a pretty good deal to me. But it's like comparing a Kia Forte to a BMW.

The Chuwi's Celeron N3450 appears to be about 10% slower/less powerful than the M3 in the SP4, which is now $699. So you pay over 50% less for a heavier, lower quality machine that should be able to do the same job.

I'd seriously consider the Chuwi if I was in the market for a $300-$400 machine. I'd wait, though, to see what Acer's $400 Switch 3 is like.

Yes indeed... the Switch 3 and Switch 5 are coming out in June.

Maybe it's me but these things are coming out so fast and by so many makers and each maker seems to have so many options that every time you get ready to buy one it's like well wait, "I need to see what this one is like that'll be released in 2-3 weeks!" It's almost perpetual...

OP
convergent

convergent

Thanks for the research as this is quite interesting! It sure makes the Switch Alpha look appealing ;)

The battery life is the biggest downsize to the Acer. Its not quite as good as the SP4, but from the reviews I've read I believe part of it is that its display is brighter and if its turned down appropriately it gets closer. Its also a bit heavier due to the water cooled design.

Two things that are leaning me toward still going Microsoft (regardless of price) are support and the image it conveys. There is virtually no forum activity anywhere on the Acer. Their own forum has some light discussion about it, but very light. That equally applies to the other higher end variants from HP, Dell, etc.. This forum is a great asset for the Surface. Also, part of the reason I've paid more for Apple over the years is the ability to go into an Apple store and get support... knowing that they made every part of the HW/SW. A big plus for the Surface on that front. The other thing is that I intend to use this at work, and I work for a large software company. I frequently teach classes or speak to groups; and also interact with our customers and executives. I think that using something like the Acer doesn't convey the image that having a Surface conveys... purely from a professional standpoint.

But give me an hour and I'll change my mind again!

If the new ones were in the Microsoft Store already, I'd have already impulse bought one. I've got several trips coming up to Asia Pacific and Latin America, so would really like to have the machine in hand to be the only thing I take with me!

OP
convergent

convergent

I just don't think they will deliver. How can they possibly at that price point, and the minimum number of people planning to buy one based on funds raised? And if they do, what will the quality and reliability be. I'd rather spend a couple hundred more and get an Acer. If the weight estimate I saw was correct, the Chuwi machine is also VERY heavy.

jrioux

I just don't think they will deliver. How can they possibly at that price point, and the minimum number of people planning to buy one based on funds raised? And if they do, what will the quality and reliability be. I'd rather spend a couple hundred more and get an Acer. If the weight estimate I saw was correct, the Chuwi machine is also VERY heavy.
This is all academic for me, because I'm extremely happy with my SP3 and expect to be for another few years. However, I would also probably get an Acer if I was in the market.

MickeyLittle

This is all academic for me, because I'm extremely happy with my SP3 and expect to be for another few years. However, I would also probably get an Acer if I was in the market.

I do remember the SP3 being a very solid machine. Have you upgraded to the SP4 pen and keyboard? If not you might want to consider one or both once they come out for the new Surface. Those if compatible with the SP3 might make some pretty sweet upgrades.

jrioux

I do remember the SP3 being a very solid machine. Have you upgraded to the SP4 pen and keyboard? If not you might want to consider one or both once they come out for the new Surface. Those if compatible with the SP3 might make some pretty sweet upgrades.
I haven't upgraded anything on my SP3 - including to Win 10. I upgraded my phone and my Lenovo Yoga Tab to 10 and had no end of problems. The SP3 is great with 8.1. The pen is of little use to me due to a disability, so I've always felt that bundling the pen is (now was) a rip off. I may upgrade my keyboard some day. It would be nice, but probably not worth the cost to me.

Did you get your SB after they resolved its teething problems? I'd love having a 13.5" or larger screen machine with the SP's configuration.

MickeyLittle

I haven't upgraded anything on my SP3 - including to Win 10. I upgraded my phone and my Lenovo Yoga Tab to 10 and had no end of problems. The SP3 is great with 8.1. The pen is of little use to me due to a disability, so I've always felt that bundling the pen is (now was) a rip off. I may upgrade my keyboard some day. It would be nice, but probably not worth the cost to me.

Did you get your SB after they resolved its teething problems? I'd love having a 13.5" or larger screen machine with the SP's configuration.

I'm not sure about any tethering issue. I purchased my SB in December and it has been the best laptop, piece of kit I've every owned. Bar none! I use it every day for a minimum of 8-10 hours. It still feels brand new even though it is 6 months old.

It charges like day 1, it holds a charge like day 1, it even look like it did on day 1.

Basically what Jeff said! So if you get a chance especially while Microsoft has the SB price reduced it would be a great time to buy!

OP
convergent

convergent

For me, I've pre-ordered one of the new Surface Pros... same specs as the SP4 I returned. Now the waiting game.

MickeyLittle

For me, I've pre-ordered one of the new Surface Pros... same specs as the SP4 I returned. Now the waiting game.
You pulled the trigger huh. Well congrats. You can't go wrong with the latest tech in a Surface Pro. The screen, keyboard, stylus, processor, and even kickstand. Not to mention battery life and processor.

Estimated delivery date?

OP
convergent

convergent

You pulled the trigger huh. Well congrats. You can't go wrong with the latest tech in a Surface Pro. The screen, keyboard, stylus, processor, and even kickstand. Not to mention battery life and processor.

Estimated delivery date?

I have done the first day available on smartphones, but never done it with a computer so this should be fun. Also, my last laptop purchase was a MacBook Air in 2010, so I'm due! The other thing that pushed me over the top was the student discount... my daughter is in college and so I had her buy it.

No delivery date given... just the available date of 6/15. Depending on how things move along, I may end up going to the store if it hasn't shipped by then. I'm going to be on a business trip that week so wouldn't be able to go to the store on launch day anyway.

The pen worries me a little. Its not available for pre-order even... just says "coming soon" on Microsoft site and other vendors. I suppose I can buy one of the older pens to use and return it later if it isn't still available in a couple of weeks.