What's new

Surface Pro 7 Plus extending the life of a Surface Pro?

Turbo4AWD

Now that the Surface Pro 7 Plus is out, does this mean that the Surface Pro will have a much longer lifespan than just 2-3 years before a newer version is made? I know the Pro X is out there, but that is still not a finished product IMO.

Plantje

I think there is still a chance a sp8 will come out. The sp7+ is really for business users.
I must say, I really like my sp2017/5 advanced LTE

OP
T

Turbo4AWD

I think there is still a chance a sp8 will come out. The sp7+ is really for business users.
I must say, I really like my sp2017/5 advanced LTE
Right, but I figure that if it lets you change out the SSD for more storage, etc, then you can own a Surface Pro longer than the usual 2 year cycle....unless you are really bad with tech and abuse it all the time....but if the drive fails, you just swap it out. Need more storage space? Just swap the drive out....

HOWEVER, if an SP8 comes out, I expect it to be a much bigger jump up in tech. At least 3 more hours of battery life (maybe a little heavier?), a MUCH better built in GPU, a higher refresh rate screen, and (I wish) Thunderbolt external GPU support.

Plantje

No, I'm not looking for options to change my SSD for more storage. I don't need that much storage.... Got 256 GB currently and that is more than enough!
Next to that, I got Office 365 personal with 1TB of storage and for work I have Office 365 with again over 1TB of storage.

What I would welcome as a "jump" is a SP8 that is packing a passive cooled core i5 11th gen in a Surface Pro X body. For some reason the SP X feels much more sturdy. A traditional SP feels like a metal "basket" with electronics inside it and a glass sheet on top of it to cover the basket.
The SP X feels much more like one solid brick. Much more like your cell phone, but bigger. Anyway...those are my thoughts :)

wpcoe

HOWEVER, if an SP8 comes out, I expect it to be a much bigger jump up in tech. At least 3 more hours of battery life (maybe a little heavier?), a MUCH better built in GPU, a higher refresh rate screen, and (I wish) Thunderbolt external GPU support.
I'm chomping at the bit to upgrade my SP6 to a SP7+, but several reviewers are speculating that this is an interim stop to a reasonably-soon-to-be-released SP8. I'd hate to plunk down the cash now and three months later see a brand new form factor SP8 with smaller bezels, Thunderbolt port, longer battery life, etc.

Luckily for me, the i7 / 16GB / 512GB SP7+ has been out of stock so I am forced to wait, any way.

I know the feeling about waiting for a new device. I am curious if the Surface Pro 8 will get a design refresh.

l know the Surface Pro X isn’t for everyone. l bought the second version and it does what l need to get work done.

My agony is waiting for the Surface Go 3. I have the first Surface Go and l would like to see a design refresh on that device as well.

Interesting...
Does anyone have an idea if the SP8 will still be compatible with previous gen accessories? (in my case a SP4: Cover keyboard, Dock v1, etc.)

wpcoe

A couple weeks ago I had a trip to the USA so considered buying a SP7+ but the i7 model I wanted was sold out. Today I checked again and:

a.gif

I wonder if they have a problem with the supply chain, if the SP7+ was more popular than anticipated, or what.