What's new

Surface Pro 7 or 7+?

tuchas

Bought a new SP7 two weeks ago without the knowledge that a new variant, the SP7+ existed. The SP7 is great (I had one that I gave to my son and bought the new one for me), but this SP7+ sounds much better - 11 gen Intel, better battery, removable SSD, better graphics, etc. I got this for a deal from Best Buy at $1699. Is it worth it to upgrade to the newer one at $300 more? Or just hold on to what I have? Battery is my biggest pet peeve with the SP7 and the removable drive is very enticing, a nd I can use a faster processor.

wpcoe

The dilemma some of us have, including me who wants to upgrade from an SP6, is whether and SP8 will be forthcoming this year, and if so, is it going to be sooner or later? With a version number like "7+" it sounds to me like it might be an intermediary step to a major upgrade with SP8, but that's pure speculation.

I'd like to see something like an updated screen with smaller bezels and Thunderbird port(s). Selfishly, I'd like to keep the proprietary Surface Pro Charging Port as I already have extra cables for travel and a Surface Dock, but if they go the Thunderbolt (or even USB-C) docking port route, I'd be okay with that.

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
The dilemma some of us have, including me who wants to upgrade from an SP6, is whether and SP8 will be forthcoming this year, and if so, is it going to be sooner or later? With a version number like "7+" it sounds to me like it might be an intermediary step to a major upgrade with SP8, but that's pure speculation.

I'd like to see something like an updated screen with smaller bezels and Thunderbird port(s). Selfishly, I'd like to keep the proprietary Surface Pro Charging Port as I already have extra cables for travel and a Surface Dock, but if they go the Thunderbolt (or even USB-C) docking port route, I'd be okay with that.
I'll tell you if you use tablet mode at all the thinner SPX bezels are maddening if you try to hold it in your hands. I can use it because most of my use is with my feet propped up and the tablet sitting in my lap. Edge with the permanently exposed X in the upper right corner will have you closing a full window of open tabs in one swift accidental touch. I've had that happen countless times even with most of my use not holding it. Also, you can easily switch pages with the goddamned edge forward and back button some sites use, or worse, on the great endlessly scrolling web pages... you can be miles down the page if you grab the edge to move it, set it down, pick it up etc. Just a few of the suboptimal user experiences. They need to do some serious work on edge touch rejection before unleashing thin bezels on the masses.

wpcoe

@GreyFox7 : Good points. I rarely use my SPs in true tablet mode. (My hands/arms get too tired of holding it.) But, for someone who does use it in tablet mode, I guess those bezels are quite useful.

OP
tuchas

tuchas

Well, I ordered the sp7+. The specs and the removable SSD are enough to make the move, and it comes with Windows 10 Pro. It's on its way here.

OP
tuchas

tuchas

Let us know what you think after you get it. My finger is hovering over the trigger ...

Just got it this morning. I haven't put it through all the tests, but so far the battery doesn't appear to be draining as fast with almost 80 brightness, and it just feels snappier. I'll keep you posted.

OP
tuchas

tuchas

Let us know what you think after you get it. My finger is hovering over the trigger ...

Well, I've had time to mess with the SP7+, and I can attest to the battery and performance as being quite superior to the SP7. The Intel Xe graphics isn't going to light the world on fire but it's at least twice as the SP7 - even working with some games with middle of the road requirements. Don't expect to run Flight Simulator on it. As for the battery, the was a ginormous improvement, at least 50% and that was running at 50% brightness at the recommend power settings. Yeah it's more cash, but it was definitely worth the price.