What's new

Surface Pro 4 won't turn on

olegnalz

Hi everyone

Two days ago I was editing a PDF on Edge when the screen froze, so I turned the tablet off with a long press on the power button.

Since then the computer won't turn on. I've tried with the various methods listed on the Microsoft website (30sec press on power button, 15sec power+volume up) but nothing happens (the keyboard is backlit after I press the power button).

Any advice?

OP
O

olegnalz

I have not contacted support yet. I've tried connecting it to an external monitor with little success. I have casually tried turning it on once again and it showed the Surface UEFI; I rebooted from there and Windows started checking the SSD for errors after showing the surface logo, only to stop before reaching 50%. Now I'm back to the backlit keyboard and black screen combo

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
I have not contacted support yet. I've tried connecting it to an external monitor with little success. I have casually tried turning it on once again and it showed the Surface UEFI; I rebooted from there and Windows started checking the SSD for errors after showing the surface logo, only to stop before reaching 50%. Now I'm back to the backlit keyboard and black screen combo
Well we now have much more info...

It looks like you have at a minimum a corrupted install of Windows and at worse a failing SSD. You can download a Windows 10 ISO and make a bootable Thumb Drive and attempt a repair or contact support.

massimo

my SP4 had a similiar issue 2 days ago, only the keyboard ligths turn ON, all the rest don't give an sing of life