What's new

Surface Pro 4 i5 Excel Issues

denniskb

I use Excel extensively in my engineering work and have an extensive library of well developed calculations including some fairly basic VBA macros and an add in called XLC.

On all PCs and laptops except my Pro 4 these Excel worksheets behave well and run fast but on the Pro 4 they are slow to open, slow to move between cells and the spreadsheets regularly crash. While I do love the Surface for many reasons this issue seriously disrupts my work and risks damage to my valuable spreadsheets.

This and similar issues with running Excel spreadsheets have been reported by many users since the Pro 4 was first sold and I have been hoping for a fix to be released but nothing has improved this appalling performance of a MS product on an MS platform. I have read many articles on the subject and tested a large number of "fixes" but none have helped. It appears that any solution would have to come direct from MS rather than just fiddling with various control settings.

Given the lack of a fix is this the result of a hardware issue on the Surface Pro which cannot be addressed by software updates?

The issues experienced with running Excel spreadsheets are so bad that I must consider abandoning a relatively new MS Surface Pro 4 and replacing it with a computer that works properly and given the lack of a solution it is unlikely this can be another MS Surface?

Is there perhaps a real solution in the making to resolve this serious issue?

Plantje

I have some finance sheets in which I use VBA as well. I have a sheet for every month since the year 2000. No real issues on a Surface 3 (non pro) I have never heard of the Surface Pro 4 having more issues with Excel than other computers.

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
I used heavy Pivot Tables and Macros all the time on my SP4 when I had it. We could really use more information about your setup, which version of Excel are you using? Is it the 32/64 bit version?

Older version of Office struggle with the High DPI screens found on newer machines.

OP
D

denniskb

I have some finance sheets in which I use VBA as well. I have a sheet for every month since the year 2000. No real issues on a Surface 3 (non pro) I have never heard of the Surface Pro 4 having more issues with Excel than other computers.

A quick search for "surface pro Excel issues" will show you the extent of the problem.

OP
D

denniskb

I used heavy Pivot Tables and Macros all the time on my SP4 when I had it. We could really use more information about your setup, which version of Excel are you using? Is it the 32/64 bit version?

Older version of Office struggle with the High DPI screens found on newer machines.

Surface Pro 4 i5 8GB 512 GB and Surface Dock with drivers, system and software updates always installed.

MS Office Home and Business 2016 64 bit installed

Excel issues have been present since new. Most obvious issue is that on opening a spreadsheet it is non-responsive for around 30 seconds before I can begin to use it. Crashes during use are common.

As note I have tried many many of the suggestions on various bulletin boards but none have helped.

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
Surface Pro 4 i5 8GB 512 GB and Surface Dock with drivers, system and software updates always installed.

MS Office Home and Business 2016 64 bit installed

Excel issues have been present since new. Most obvious issue is that on opening a spreadsheet it is non-responsive for around 30 seconds before I can begin to use it. Crashes during use are common.

As note I have tried many many of the suggestions on various bulletin boards but none have helped.
Have you looked at this support article? Fixes or workarounds for recent issues in Excel for Windows

OP
D

denniskb

Yes I have seen this article and have experienced a couple of the issues listed but only briefly and now gone.

These do not reflect the ongoing issues I am experiencing.

Plantje

A quick search for "surface pro Excel issues" will show you the extent of the problem.
Ok, there are more issues like what you're experiencing. Just thought it was strange. Just trying to think along here as logic would dictate my Surface 3 would have a lot more issues