What's new

Surface Pro 3 i5 vs Surface Pro 3 i7 - which one to get

Moonsurface

Super Moderator
Staff member
I'm still totally in love with my i7. The surface is such a versatile device. The other day I was using it in desktop mode as a lighting control device to control mobile disco lighting using standard windows software, then last night I was using it in full tablet mode writing lots of notes and scribbling all over the screen with the pen.

It never flinches at anything I throw at it. I swear sometimes it feels faster and more fluid than my Win7 desktop which on paper at least has much better hardware specs.... but I just enjoy using the surface so much it actually makes me want to WORK.... that is really scary!

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
I'm still totally in love with my i7. The surface is such a versatile device. The other day I was using it in desktop mode as a lighting control device to control mobile disco lighting using standard windows software, then last night I was using it in full tablet mode writing lots of notes and scribbling all over the screen with the pen.

It never flinches at anything I throw at it. I swear sometimes it feels faster and more fluid than my Win7 desktop which on paper at least has much better hardware specs.... but I just enjoy using the surface so much it actually makes me want to WORK.... that is really scary!
This is why I have issues with idiotic analysts who say they are perfectly happy using an Atom based Win 8.1 tablet. Though I suppose they cant two finger type faster than what an Atom CPU will do its a completely worthless and idiotic position. They should get electrical shocks every time the publish something stupid.

InspectHerGadget

This is why I have issues with idiotic analysts who say they are perfectly happy using an Atom based Win 8.1 tablet. Though I suppose they cant two finger type faster than what an Atom CPU will do its a completely worthless and idiotic position. They should get electrical shocks every time the publish something stupid.
Applied to the genitals of course...:)

I was timing some of the delays when doing operations on MYOB today and they can be well over 10 seconds which is a long time. I think even with a 4970K, it would be far from instant. When I had the i7 SP3 though it made a very noticeable reduction in these times.

If it weren't for the MYOB, I would happily stay with my SP2 although, aside from performance, the bigger screen is nice, the trackpad actually works too (I use a Surface mouse to compensate at the moment which is easy to carry in my back pocket).

We are spoilt for choices really although this technology like the i7 is still very expensive. I did get the 10% educational discount which helps and in Australia we get a 2 year Microsoft warranty standard which is nice.

I've also found Microsoft Customer service is very generous. That is short wait times, can speak English without an Indian/Chinese/Pilipino accent and are very helpful. I feel like Microsoft deserve my business and so far only Apple service has been at that level of satisfaction with me.