What's new

Surface Pro 2 1.9 CPU Lot Numbers

OP
MickeyLittle

MickeyLittle

Thanks Database. So it looks pretty solid that if you want the new processor you must get build Lot 1350 or newer. If this isn't important to you then find another thread. lol:big smile:

drohm

Lot 1340 - I must have been one of the first units. I pre-ordered it online at the MS store. The 256/8 unit with 4200U processor.

OP
MickeyLittle

MickeyLittle

Lot 1340 - I must have been one of the first units. I pre-ordered it online at the MS store. The 256/8 unit with 4200U processor.

:wink: I had 1341 as well but got it at Best Buy. I was having the screen dimming issue and Best Buy gladly swapped out with me. And it was easy for me and the guy to look thru their stock. I called the MS Store first and the guy there had a couple of good points. He said that he would do the exchange with me but that he had no way of guaranteeing that I would get some of the new stock in return. So it would be in my best interest to try Best Buy.

As for you, if there are problems with your tablet, you should probably hold off for a week or two but then the only concern would be that they could send you a referb and in that case I just wouldn't open the box if I got anything older than a 1350.

Dim-Ize

Aside from my OCD, which is very prominent with technology unfortunately, what is the real world results of this for gaming?

I can't imagine it would make any difference in surfing, general office apps, email, etc. It must certainly be of merit on video composition and other applications. But, for me, all I can see it benefiting may be in the realm of games (like the ones on Steam, not Cut the Rope).

Does anyone have one of each that they can run in game FPS side by side and post the results or has seen a site out there with that kind of comparison? Not interested in benchmark scores as much as I am in actual performance differences. If this is a 15% + net benefit for gaming performance, my screen might be dimming too.

Chappie

It's a theoretical 3-5 FPS game, but beyond that it could just be more stability/consistent FPS, which would be more of a need it IMO.

jollywombat

The games I have tried have gotten 1-2 fps increase at best (xcom, sc2, borderlands2). Just because the GPU is clocked %10 higher does not mean the actual performance correlates, same with CPU. More and more though I see higher power usage now however with the higher clocked unit by about ~3000mWh when running full out. Benchmark scores were 3-5% in 3dmark 13 for me across all tests.

be77solo

Aside from my OCD, which is very prominent with technology unfortunately, what is the real world results of this for gaming?

I can't imagine it would make any difference in surfing, general office apps, email, etc. It must certainly be of merit on video composition and other applications. But, for me, all I can see it benefiting may be in the realm of games (like the ones on Steam, not Cut the Rope).

Does anyone have one of each that they can run in game FPS side by side and post the results or has seen a site out there with that kind of comparison? Not interested in benchmark scores as much as I am in actual performance differences. If this is a 15% + net benefit for gaming performance, my screen might be dimming too.

It's a theoretical 3-5 FPS game, but beyond that it could just be more stability/consistent FPS, which would be more of a need it IMO.

The games I have tried have gotten 1-2 fps increase at best (xcom, sc2, borderlands2). Just because the GPU is clocked %10 higher does not mean the actual performance correlates, same with CPU. More and more though I see higher power usage now however with the higher clocked unit by about ~3000mWh when running full out. Benchmark scores were 3-5% in 3dmark 13 for me across all tests.

Biggest issue I see with hoping for meaningful gaming improvements besides the fact the clock increase is minimal is simply that the 4200u already throttles when gaming, so with the same TDP to work with, the "faster" 4300u will also throttle... so that 100mhz gpu boost will be lost since it's all on the same chip once you play more than a minute or two and things warm up. I'm glad to see Microsoft didn't arbitrarily lock the new 4300u's and hide the upgrade from users as recommended previously in this post, but in reality I just can't see it matter much in performance if at all. As posted above by jollywombat, 1 frame per second improvement is a stretch to even detect between the two.

Having said all this, I still think the SP2 is an awesome package with either CPU, and yes if I was buying today, I'd want the 4300u... but I'd buy mine again at launch happily

After all, when the SP3 comes out later this year, will any of this matter :p Tech never stops

TLDR: look for a 1351 lot # or later if buying today, otherwise enjoy your awesome machine

Dim-Ize

Thanks, gurus. I appreciate the reality check. Need to remember to be thankful, realize the difference wouldn't be noticeable, and consider the future device upgrade will likely be a significant change.

be77solo, nice way to net it out: "If buying today, search the lot numbers. Otherwise enjoy your awesome machine."

That is of course if one doesn't have issues. I do not so will set the matter aside.