What's new

Surface Pro 2 1.9 CPU Lot Numbers

Moodi

Your sources are bullshit, then, specifically the claim that they throttle to under 1 GHz. Even my SP2 only throttles to 2.5 GHz under 100% CPU load and 2.0 GHz with 100% CPU+GPU due to the 80 degrees ceiling. The guy at the top post of the following link has both a 4200U and 4300U SP2 and benchmarked software on both, finding that the 4300U was 10-25% faster. This is probably because most applications don't ever use 100% load constantly such that you don't have max heat generation which allows the clockspeed to stay higher on the 4300U. In fact, in the 3rd post of the following link (note that I have the 2nd post :p), they see that the 4200U stays at 2.3 GHz while the 4300U settles in at 2.6 GHz:
Surface Pro 2.5 i5 4300U 1.9 Ghz 2.5 Ghz - Microsoft Community

Also, people play games on their SP2 possibly because they can and can do so on the go in a convenient form factor that has its own screen. Lugging a PS4 and TV around on a long bus or train ride isn't my idea of a fun time. The Intel HD 4400 is a respectable integrated graphics solution that can play most modern games at playable framerates at low to medium settings, mostly at 720p but some at 1080p.

It looks like ur stupid ,discussing with you is a waste of my time!
enjoy ur 4300U kid!

sovereignty68

My update... I received my rerplacement SP2 from a Standard Exchange. I arranged this though Surface Support. It was a refurbished unit with the old CPU. Gah!

I called Surface Support again and they advised that the best way to know for sure what I'm getting is through a retain store. So I made an appointment at my local Microsoft Store. Explained my fiasco to the technician. ANd he swapped it out for a new device on the spot. It helped that I have the Surface Complete warranty. Yay! It took three tries but I finally got a new SP2 with the 1.9 GHz CPU.

So far so good. Wish me luck!

I just replaced my Surface via web and the replacement I received today only has 4200u. I might try the local store as well. But I'm curious, how did you transfer Complete Warranty from one device to another?

Last edited:

bamaster

I just replaced my Surface via web and the replacement I received today only has 4200u. I might try the local store as well. But I'm curious, how did you transfer Complete Warranty from one device to another?

I asked them the same question. Basically, they process a return including the warranty. Then they process a re-purchase with the new Surface and the warranty attached to it. So there isn't a transfer, really. It's all on one receipt so you see the return then purchase, with a zero balance at the end.

Except I added Zumba for my Xbox One, so I paid a little out of pocket. Hey, don't you judge me!

benjitek

FYI... SP2 512GB models are now out-of-stock. While I have no way of knowing for sure, I'm thinking that's a good indicator that once they're back, it'll be newer 4300 processors for everything going forward. That is at least until the next minor processor bump ;-)

dstrauss

FYI... SP2 512GB models are now out-of-stock. While I have no way of knowing for sure, I'm thinking that's a good indicator that once they're back, it'll be newer 4300 processors for everything going forward. That is at least until the next minor processor bump ;-)

Hate to burst your bubble, but all configurations of the SPro 2 go in and out of availability constantly (as of this morning, they've been out of stock on 256Gb and 512GB for three days), and still it is a crapshoot as to which processor you will be graced with - it's like there is this giant parts bin they just keep refilling with whatever Intel delivers.

benjitek

Hate to burst your bubble, but all configurations of the SPro 2 go in and out of availability constantly (as of this morning, they've been out of stock on 256Gb and 512GB for three days), and still it is a crapshoot as to which processor you will be graced with - it's like there is this giant parts bin they just keep refilling with whatever Intel delivers.

No problem, no bubble to burst -- on my 2nd SP2 512GB promised with a 4300 but sent 4200's. This is the first time since 1/10 that the 512's have been out of stock, but as you mention, I've noticed other configurations come and go. With luck, my 3rd will be a 4300 -- though if it isn't, at this point I might just give up and keep it...

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member

Another regular from TPCR ....Welcome!!!!

Yay ..... Just got my SP2 128GB lot number 1350 from Hongkong , thankfully it has 4300U 1.9 GHz processor , enjoying this beast of a machine, can wait to transfer all my files from laptop to this and retire my laptop. what issues should one check for ? any idea guys ?

InkyRag

I just got my wife the 256 GB version. It was the only one that I could find and it was at our local Microsoft store. No one else had one at the moment including the online store. It was a 1350 lot number and it turned out to be one with the 4300U CPU. I got lucky.

CreativeLemming

Filled in the online service request on Wednesday afternoon as my screen started clicking/creaking and the device is still dodgy after the firmware update. Received shipment notification on Thursday and the replacement turned up this morning (Friday), in seemingly perfect condition, and upgraded processor to boot (8/256G). Even the kickstand is flush, where my original was slightly raised. Not sure of the lot number, came in a plain brown box.

Overall very very impressed with the service, thanks Microsoft!