What's new

Surface Pen.....How's it working for ya?

sharpuser

Administrator
Staff member
Bluetooth? The pen only uses the radio for screen clipping and launching OneNote.....the Digitizer uses an electrical,current from the pen that the sensor on the screen detects to close the Circuit for the X-Y Axis.

Right. I'm talking about polling.

I'm convinced that under Windows 8.1, collateral Bluetooth activity was interrupting the inking, causing stuttering or chatter. When I turned my Bluetooth mouse off, or disconnected my phone from its Bluetooth connection, the inking was okay.

This issue was the worst when I was in the office amidst an office pool full of Bluetooth activity (mouse, keyboard, smartphones, and music streaming). Under the last two Windows 10 builds, no such problem.

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
Right. I'm talking about polling.

I'm convinced that under Windows 8.1, collateral Bluetooth activity was interrupting the inking, causing stuttering or chatter. When I turned my Bluetooth mouse off, or disconnected my phone from its Bluetooth connection, the inking was okay.

This issue was the worst when I was in the office amidst an office pool full of Bluetooth activity (mouse, keyboard, smartphones, and music streaming). Under the last two Windows 10 builds, no such problem.

Interesting.....I need to experiment a bit....

sharpuser

Administrator
Staff member
One more thing...

I have a Microsoft Band. I found that it will "pair" with my Surface Pro 3, but is not recognized by the Microsoft Health (Band) software. However, when my iPhone sends activity to the Band such as text notices, etc., my SP3 inking can stutter. I found this out while taking notes in the office while the Band was responding to iPhone email - and inking stuttered.

Easily solved by not pairing.

pairedup.jpg

readytopair.jpg

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
This alone should be reason enough to ditch the Marvel combo Wireless Bluetooth chip in favor of something of higher quality in the SP4.

ptrkhh

I have a Microsoft Band. I found that it will "pair" with my Surface Pro 3, but is not recognized by the Microsoft Health (Band) software. However, when my iPhone sends activity to the Band such as text notices, etc., my SP3 inking can stutter. I found this out while taking notes in the office while the Band was responding to iPhone email - and inking stuttered.
Oh Microsoft, come on...

irishmanns

my belief is i have read everywhere yet can not seem to find the answer. my pen keeps disconnecting when using one note. it is almost like the palm reject is not working.

so when in onenote, the pen switches from pen mode to select mode (arrow when using a mouse) i can select ink again and it conncects briefly but then disconnects.

if i close onenote i can sometimes ink with no more issues, sometimes it is a reboot.

have tried the following:

replaced AAAA battery
deleted profile and reestablished connection with pen in bluetooth
keyboard connected and disconnected from tablet, no change
random event, no rhyme or reason i can tell
Running onenote 2013 office

irishmanns

@irishmanns ,

Windows 10 Build 9926 may help you get relief.

I may give it a try. I just got this about three weeks ago, and not a fan of setting up all over again. Overall very very satisfied with the SP3. Moving from Sam Ativ, Asus 700, Note 10.1, and iPad. Had a little of everything so this is not my fist rodeo with Tablets...thus far....I'd get the SP3 again...

Prob just a tweak here or there I'm missing.

OP
Jay Marino

Jay Marino

Just an update on my end. My pen started to not work well and then eventually I got the phantom touches and my SP3 was replaced under warranty. I'm assuming then my problems were hardware related. So far no phantom touches with my replacement device and the pen works flawlessly.....
Now I'll try to fix the battery issues. (9 hours of battery life my A$$, ? I can't get more than 4)