What's new

Surface as a TV screen

hughlle

Super Moderator
Staff member
OK, I know that people have asked about using a surface as an external monitor, and I suddenly thought about this. Chances are it's a load of rubbish :D

Here goes

Could you use a USB tv tuner to turn the surface into a TV screen of sorts? I'm not sure if they allow you to view the stream live, or if there is lag etc. But could simply plug a console into something like this https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/B0...8649-5cce-a681-6088ae630357&pf_rd_i=430550031

And Bob is you uncle? Anyone know how this would work? Unfortunately I'm unemployed and penniless so can't just buy one and test it myself.

sharpuser

Administrator
Staff member
In the USA I use my Surface for TV viewing from Xfinity and from Spectrum. You can use your Surface to view live TV from DirecTV, Dish, Xfinity, Spectrum, or most other TV service providers.

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
I tried one of these on the train a while ago... it was pitiful. If you're stationary and can get a good solid signal it might be ok but it sure wont replace a 32", 40", 50" or 60+" (pick a size) TV.

You can get a decent 4K 55 inch TV for $400 or 43 inch for $350. Best TVs of 2017

Last edited:
OP
H

hughlle

Super Moderator
Staff member
To reiterate, I am not trying to watch television. I am looking to see if a usb tv tuner with a video input (such as those used for recording game streams) displays the stream on the surface screen without issues, or if it just records and saves a file without the ability to view the stream real time on the surface. The desired result being that my partner can plug a playstation into her surface instead of a television which I can't afford to buy her (even had to stop smoking a week ago :eek: ).

Last edited:

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
To reiterate, I am not trying to watch television. I am looking to see if a usb tv tuner with a video input (such as those used for recording game streams) displays the stream on the surface screen without issues, or if it just records and saves a file without the ability to view the stream real time on the surface. The desired result being that my partner can plug a playstation into her surface instead of a television which I can't afford to buy her (even had to stop smoking a week ago :eek: ).
It would need to be a USB capture card and an app to see the input. It was an Xbox One it supports game streaming and I believe the PS4 is also getting that functionality.

OP
H

hughlle

Super Moderator
Staff member
Cheers Jeff. The hunt continues. And no, it is not an xbox, she is a playstation fangirl and nearly bit my head off when I mentioned I'd bought an xbox for myself :cool:

BubbaUK

The problem with using something like a USB-TV tuner for gaming is the lag; I had an old Hauppauge USB-1 TV stick and it was fine for telly, but as soon as I plugged in the PS2, apart from a strange rolling ripple across the screen, there was a good half second lag between what I was seeing on the PC monitor and what was actually happening in the PS2, making it unplayable.

USB-3 TV tuners might have a lot less lag of course. If you do try one, I'd be interested in hearing the results.

OP
H

hughlle

Super Moderator
Staff member
The problem with using something like a USB-TV tuner for gaming is the lag; I had an old Hauppauge USB-1 TV stick and it was fine for telly, but as soon as I plugged in the PS2, apart from a strange rolling ripple across the screen, there was a good half second lag between what I was seeing on the PC monitor and what was actually happening in the PS2, making it unplayable.

USB-3 TV tuners might have a lot less lag of course. If you do try one, I'd be interested in hearing the results.
Yeah, it's definitely a consideration. Fortunately this is just a stop gap, and she will be quite happy with games like older final fantasy where lag isn't really a game breaker.