What's new

Surface 3 antivirus

Previously I installed antivirus but new units like these come preinstalled with Windows Defender which is free and is actually pretty good at catching an deleting virus/spyware...Although I purchased a full antivirus package, I did not put it on this computer... plus most of them are not yet supporting windows edge web browser... stick with what's already installed, it will do you fine and its free...

I'm using bitdefender for the last 3 years with my surfaces and never had a problem.
Always in the top 3 antivirus software suites.
Kaspersky is good also

I'm using bitdefender for the last 3 years with my surfaces and never had a problem.
Always in the top 3 antivirus software suites.
Kaspersky is good also
I've seen good reviews about bitdefender...however the only reason I did not load new software was I was cautioned by Microsoft Store staff that the best defense is to leave it up to the internal security built in...I don't know what the right answer is as up until a few years ago I had been in publishing so all I had used was Macs even when they weren't popular (better graphics back then for publishing)...all I know and love about windows now I've learned over the past few years...

stupops

I was using defender and malware bytes quite happily then i got infested and hijacked and heaven knows what.It was a nightmare. I Don't go on any dodgy sites and most of my downloads are from the windows store. I bought Kaspersky and it seems to work pretty well. Bad luck - I dunno. But i won't take a chance with defender again. Which is a shame as it was resource light and convenient.

Moonsurface

Super Moderator
Staff member
I used bitdefender for a while until I had problems with fan running at odd tines on my pro 3, may not be q problem on the surface 3 though! Went back to defender. Recently I had a problem with defender not starting after the 1511 update so I installed Avast free. It seems quite good.

stupops

Have used one of my Kaspersky Total Security licences on my Surface 3 and it seems to run better than on my Laptop! No lag - no hassle. Impressed thus far!