What's new

SPro4 forgotten password, keyboard not typing letters

XROne

i am trying to reset windows by entering my passkey with a USB keyboard. when i type letters, nothing shows up. numbers do. is this the number lock issue with fn12 key as the fix? it doesn't seem like it because numbers are not showing instead of letters, nothing shows up accept the blinking cursor blinks at a different rate. could a cracked screen cause this? i am going to install linux on it, but i wanted to visit windows first to download Fedora. is there a difference running with a USB keyboard vs the magnetic key cover in the way the SPro4 acts?

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
Seems like there's something wrong with the keyboard, a USB keyboard should work...
Must be a Linux keyboard /s
Do you have a Surface Keyboard?

OP
X

XROne

HI! i am not a linux person yet. keyboard #1 wired USB Chinese made IBM with Windows Super keys (unsure of the term). keyboard #2 Logitech wireless K520 with Windows keys. both behaved identically. I am thinking these will make great Linux keyboards as Linux uses the Windows Super Keys now a days (maybe always did?). the cracked digitizer screen sustained extreme damage, however. if this problem is very unusual my next step might be to replace it, but the part alone costs $90 at the lowest cost ebay seller and the surgery requires a very delicate touch not to break the foil inside, so i just wanted to see how damaged it was prior to replacing it. the rest of the unit looks perfect. i am kind of surprised it runs at all. maybe i'll try a KeyCover (probably the incorrect name) default keyboard next, then potencially go for the screen. this is a low budget operation so i'll try to pickup a Surface Keyboard or 2 at a swap meet. i hadn't realized what nice hardware these things are. thanks for posting!

OP
X

XROne

the article i read about installing Linux on a Surface Pro 4 implied it needed the default key board