What's new

Shrink Visual Studio 2013 Community

dhanjel

I´ve had my i3 64gb sp3 a couple of weeks now and I simply love it.
Would love to have 128gb ssd but due to a good deal when I bought mine it isn´t simply a realistic upgrade.

I use Visual Studio for development (WinStore/Basic win apps/WinPhone), but the problem is that the default install if I remove anything unneccesary is 13gb.

Do you guys any good tricks to reduce the footprint on the disk?

The emulators is a separate part of 2gb that can be removed.

I tried to install it om my memory card, but it got too slow. Perhaps a faster card would solve the issue though.
(Emulators has to be installed on the internal disk though)

malberttoo

Would love to have 128gb ssd but due to a good deal when I bought mine it isn´t simply a realistic upgrade.

I use Visual Studio for development (WinStore/Basic win apps/WinPhone), but the problem is that the default install if I remove anything unneccesary is 13gb.

I tried to install it om my memory card, but it got too slow. Perhaps a faster card would solve the issue though.

Welcome to the forum!

I don't know about reducing your software footprint, but you can make your SSD a bit larger. You can move your recovery partition onto a USB drive. This will free up several GB's worth of space. But if you ever want to restore your SP3, you'll need that USB drive so don't lose it.

http://www.microsoft.com/surface/en-us/support/storage-files-and-folders/create-a-recovery-drive

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
So is your development done on the go or primarily stationery?
I think Id look at a external USB SSD in your case if it would work for you. You can even make your own with an enclosure and put the SSD of choice in it. This has obvious limitations/inconveniences.

Another option a fast microSD card like the Samsung Pro at 90mbps it would be slower than you could do with a USB SSD which gave me about half the performance on USB as the native speed on SATA with a Samsung Evo 840.

This is the unfortunate downside of fixed small storage, you will be constantly fighting this battle unless you can find a workable big fix.

IDK would a mount point work for the emulators?

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member

Do you have Visual Studio as part of a MSDN Subscription? Have you activated your Azure Benefit? I use a Virtual Machine in Azure that is based on a Template only available to MSDN Subscribers that has all of the Development Tools, I just RDP into it for what I need to do without impacting my SP3's storage.