What's new

Rumors of a Surface 4

kristalsoldier

I really don't care what they do, but I need them to release a S4 in a either 10.2 or 9.8 screen size (maintaining the same AR as now). Make it lightweight, long battery, USB-C, Fast Charge and full integration with a MS-Surface set up. Oh...and for god's sake, MS, design and release a cover for the device - like a type cover but with no keys - or something similar!!!!!!

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
I really don't care what they do, but I need them to release a S4 in a either 10.2 or 9.8 screen size (maintaining the same AR as now). Make it lightweight, long battery, USB-C, Fast Charge and full integration with a MS-Surface set up. Oh...and for god's sake, MS, design and release a cover for the device - like a type cover but with no keys - or something similar!!!!!!
Totally not with you on 9.8 or 10.2 sizes. I like the 10.8 although I could see sliming the bezels, dropping the bezel Windows button and upping the screen to 11.0 in the same physical size as S3. There are a billion (or plenty) 10.1 inch Windows tablets ... List of Tablets - Tablet Comparison Chart 2016 - Updated Tablet Prices

If MS copies some Huawei design points they could make the S4 lighter and slimmer.

Rumor has it Apple is releasing a 10.5" iPad this year (cycle). Copying Microsoft is a thing. Don't drop the ball MS you're making a difference, just keep it up.

kristalsoldier

Totally not with you on 9.8 or 10.2 sizes. I like the 10.8 although I could see sliming the bezels, dropping the bezel Windows button and upping the screen to 11.0 in the same physical size as S3. There are a billion (or plenty) 10.1 inch Windows tablets ... List of Tablets - Tablet Comparison Chart 2016 - Updated Tablet Prices

If MS copies some Huawei design points they could make the S4 lighter and slimmer.

Rumor has it Apple is releasing a 10.5" iPad this year (cycle). Copying Microsoft is a thing. Don't drop the ball MS you're making a difference, just keep it up.

I see what you are saying about the screen size, but my basic idea is to use a potential S4 as a pure tablet for which reason, it cannot be too big or unwieldy. I think the S3 is already pushing it and recently I tried using the SP4 as one and while the tablet experience was very good, but it really cannot be used as a tablet (when on the hop). Thus the argument for a more manageable size. Again, with size being the primary concern, I think a Surface mini would be too small. It would be perfect for writing notes (allegedly as Panos uses one), it would not be a good size for comfortable reading and/ or video consumption.

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
I see what you are saying about the screen size, but my basic idea is to use a potential S4 as a pure tablet for which reason, it cannot be too big or unwieldy. I think the S3 is already pushing it and recently I tried using the SP4 as one and while the tablet experience was very good, but it really cannot be used as a tablet (when on the hop). Thus the argument for a more manageable size. Again, with size being the primary concern, I think a Surface mini would be too small. It would be perfect for writing notes (allegedly as Panos uses one), it would not be a good size for comfortable reading and/ or video consumption.
I totally agree with the Pro being to big and particularly heavy and that's where making the S3 lighter would be significant. Even though the Huawei Matebook is 12" it's only 640g while the 10.8 S3 is 620g. I think a S4 of that size could drop to 550g maybe 525g which would help a lot.

In the past I felt 10.1 is the smallest size Id want to use for a tablet. That coming after using 9.7 ipad and a couple 10.1 Androids with 16:10 aspect. The 10.8 3:2 Surface 3 was better IMO. I haven't seen a 10.1 3:2 device. My main complaint about the S3 though is the weight, as light as it is.... it can make you're wrist hurt. I could conceivably compromise on a 10.1 Surface with 3:2 aspect ratio under 500g however, given the plethora of 10.1" devices it might be a bit too much "me too". I see where you're coming from though.

kristalsoldier

One of the things that I wonder about is whether MS is actually going to vacate the market segment that requires a tablet with inking capabilities. I use a SP4 and I can see the screen size and while it is great to use as a tablet, the screen size is a problem. Obviously the SP4 does not fill the segment - its simply too big.

The S3 is a perfect unit in this context. But as @GreyFox7 points out, it is - relatively speaking - a bit on the heavy side. Same dimensions, reduce the bezels, lose the Windows button, at the minimum match the kind of screen on the SP4, make it lighter and optimize for better battery-life. When coupled with the Pen such a successor to the S3 would be ideal!

But sadly, this will probably not happen.