What's new

Recommendable small USB 3.0 Hubs?

aer0

Any suggestible USB 3.0 Hubs out there, that'll let me connect both a USB 3.0 External drive (for programs and video editing)
and a wired mouse?

I only ask because I tried some random small USB 3.0 hubs today, and to my surprise, both of them did not
work when I had both an USB 3.0 external drive (housing a SSD) and a wired mouse connected to it.

Is there a power issue that I'm not aware of for the single USB 3.0 port on the SP3?
Is there not enough juice coming from the single USB 3.0 port to power both an external drive AND a wired mouse?

FYI, the two hubs worked fine on my laptop and on my Desktop, but not on the SP3.

wertzius

Yes, there is a power "issue". The Port can only deliver 900mA, not enough for a hub, a mouse and a harddrive. You need a powered hub.

bluegrass

I don't have the details right now but I also purchased a powered USB 3 hub from Amazon and it worked fine. I notice you said you do video editing. If I were you, I would consider purchasing the SP3 docking station when it becomes available. It will have 3 USB 3.0 ports, 2 USB 2.0 ports, gigabit Ethernet port, audio input/output port, & a mini display port plus it leaves the USB 3.0 port & mini display port on the SP3 still usable. This gives you a lot of flexibility. I ordered mine. I think they will be in the stores and shipping by August 1st.

OP
aer0

aer0

I don't have the details right now but I also purchased a powered USB 3 hub from Amazon and it worked fine. I notice you said you do video editing. If I were you, I would consider purchasing the SP3 docking station when it becomes available. It will have 3 USB 3.0 ports, 2 USB 2.0 ports, gigabit Ethernet port, audio input/output port, & a mini display port plus it leaves the USB 3.0 port & mini display port on the SP3 still usable. This gives you a lot of flexibility. I ordered mine. I think they will be in the stores and shipping by August 1st.

It's on my list, after I upgrade to the i7 :D
However, I don't really want to lug the docking station around, so I better find a powered hub.
Only issue is finding a small/mobile one, since mobile ones are rarely powered.

leeshor

CyberPower makes very small powered USB HUBs but the power brick is larger than the HUB.