What's new

Pro 4 vs. Surface Book vs. iPad Pro...

IlbeRevolution

I would recommend going for the SP4, unless you absolutely know that you need a descrete GPU.

You're paying 500$ premium just for the base model of SB compared to its SP4 equivalent.

And while the SB offers better ergonomics, without the need for the descrete GPU (and you know who you are, if you do need one), the extra premium doesn't justify what essentially is the same hardware, same design, same pen, same touch, etc...

Assuming you have a desk everywhere you go, you still get the same Surface experience between the two.

As for the iPrad.... RIP iPod Pro: 2015-2015.

jrioux

This is going to be a hard one. $1300 for the SP4 I would want, plus $130 for the keyboard and $60 for the pen. A total of $1490. Or $1900 for the Surface book I would want, plus $60 for the pen so total of $1960. Either one would be a serious upgrade from my SP3 I3...
Why do you want a 2nd pen for your SP4? One is included with the SP4.

I would recommend going for the SP4, unless you absolutely know that you need a descrete GPU.

You're paying 500$ premium just for the base model of SB compared to its SP4 equivalent.

And while the SB offers better ergonomics, without the need for the descrete GPU (and you know who you are, if you do need one), the extra premium doesn't justify what essentially is the same hardware, same design, same pen, same touch, etc...

Assuming you have a desk everywhere you go, you still get the same Surface experience between the two.

As for the iPrad.... RIP iPod Pro: 2015-2015.

Here's how I'm looking at it since I need 8GB RAM:

SP4 with 256Gb storage and 8GB RAM + type cover = $1430

SB base mode = $1500

I don't care about storage since I'll be connecting to a 4TB drive on my router. 128GB is plenty for what I need on the machine itself.

I prefer the form of the SB since I find a laptop much easier to use lying down or in odd positions. Coming from a Thinkpad Yoga, I also enjoy using it with the keyboard tucked behind for reading in bed. SP is too far angled back they way I use it in bed.

I see what you mean but don't forget that the Surface Book's tablet half is larger than the SP4 accounting for some of that extra space you see in the image. Also I don't see a 10hour difference there... I would be very surprised (and disappointed) if it was 2 or even 6 hours battery life. Lets hope it's more in line with the SP4's 12hrs...

:)

I was reading somewhere battery life without the dock is supposed to be 3 hours (Source). Not a huge deal for me since the screen can be flipped around when connected to the dock use it to write on a desk. I can see how it would be an issue if you were planning on carrying just the tablet part around though.

It would have been great to just keep the same form factor for both (with kickstands) and allow both to use the hard dock.

Last edited:

nogridbag

>> It would have been great to just keep the same form factor for both (with kickstands) and allow both to use the hard dock.

+1 ... but I understand why it's engineered this way.

I think I would use the SB in tablet mode most often while watching videos in bed. So I would undock the display from the keyboard in the office and begin watching videos in the bedroom - the problem is when I'm running low on batteries (since supposedly 3/4 of the batteries are in the base) I have to go and dock the display to the keyboard base to charge... it's a bit strange.

I think in the SB 2, we'll see a kickstand in the display.

>> It would have been great to just keep the same form factor for both (with kickstands) and allow both to use the hard dock.

+1 ... but I understand why it's engineered this way.

I think I would use the SB in tablet mode most often while watching videos in bed. So I would undock the display from the keyboard in the office and begin watching videos in the bedroom - the problem is when I'm running low on batteries (since supposedly 3/4 of the batteries are in the base) I have to go and dock the display to the keyboard base to charge... it's a bit strange.

I'm wondering if the power cable can go directly in the tablet part. The connector in the middle of the dock looks the same as the power. However, that would mean you need two power supplies to not have to go back in the other room.

Dim-Ize

>> ...

I concur with your usage model and the future launch of the SB2 one day... Ugh, no kickstand!

It seems the SB is a laptop first with moderate use as a tablet. But it lacks battery life and has no kickstand. Ports are obviously missing as intended. The SP4 is a tablet first with full use as a laptop. I think the SP4 is for me. Frankly, I would definitely buy a SP4 if the new SB keyboard dock was an option. Alas, the internals of the SP4 wouldn't allow it to pair.

I suppose after much though,t I'm leaning towards the SP4. I often give wireless presentations with my SP2. Battery gets hammered when streaming HD or presenting for sometime. I love the fact that I'm not tethered and can move about. I would be very nervous about the SB detached doing the same. I think I read (or heard) 75% of the battery is in the base of the SB while the other 25% comes from the tablet portion.

Depending on how the benchmarks develop over the next few days/weeks (SP3 to SP4) - the SP4 seems to be the right choice for my next upgrade. I hope the 30% number is real and it doesn't throttle the way the SP3 does.

In any case, I don't (personally) see a comparison between the SP4 or SB to the iPad Pro.

MMU

The tech specs on the website are incomplete at the moment for the Surface Book. The entire thing, tablet and keyboard weighs in at 3.48lbs. The tablet alone is 1.6lbs which is lighter than the SP4, but it has no kickstand and virtually no ports, hence the weight savings.

Full tech specs here.

http://news.microsoft.com/download/presskits/surface/docs/surfacebookfs.docx

http://news.microsoft.com/download/presskits/surface/docs/surfacepro4fs.docx

http://news.microsoft.com/download/presskits/surface/docs/surfaceaccessoriesfs.docx

Thanks for that, very helpful.