What's new

Onenote default notebook

79jonesy

Hi,
Is there a way to change the default notebook? Whenever I clip to onenote from the web or use the sharing option in charms it goes to an old notebook that I no longer use. Short of deleting that notebook I'm not sure what to do.
Thanks

malberttoo

Hi,
Is there a way to change the default notebook? Whenever I clip to onenote from the web or use the sharing option in charms it goes to an old notebook that I no longer use. Short of deleting that notebook I'm not sure what to do.
Thanks

Depends on what version (Desktop or Modern) you're using I think.

Try this-

Desktop Version
File> Options> Save & Backup

Under the “Save” list, select “Quick Notes Section ….”
Select “Modify….” then pick where you want the default quick notes to be located.

Modern
Settings> Options> "Choose a notebook for quick notes"

OP

79jonesy

Hi. Thanks for the reply - using onenote 2013. That worked for the pen button but not for the clipper or charms share. I have worked around it by exporting the old notebook as a PDF and then deleting it. I renamed my current notebook to match the old one and now everything goes to the correct notebook. Probably not how I should do it but I started to run out of ideas!

SP3 and onenote is note taking heaven!!

ScottyS

SP3 and onenote is note taking heaven!!

Agreed. For note taking at lectures I use onscreen keyboard's handwriting recognition to input text with the pen, but can also swing keyboard around and type as well as inking notes and diagrams. If the lecture has the PowerPoint slides as pdf file, I have that open too and use Send To OneNote or just copy/paste to insert graphs or diagrams.

I use it as a white board while teaching in small groups and even have pages with drawings and diagrams already inserted which I can annotate and use as I teach.

I make shopping lists at home and then open them on iPhone while out shopping to check off what I get.

I've been watching video tutorials on YouTube and keep learning more things you can do with OneNote.

Especially for the Surface, OneNote is Microsoft's killer app.

malberttoo

Agreed. For note taking at lectures I use onscreen keyboard's handwriting recognition to input text with the pen, but can also swing keyboard around and type as well as inking notes and diagrams. If the lecture has the PowerPoint slides as pdf file, I have that open too and use Send To OneNote or just copy/paste to insert graphs or diagrams.

I use it as a white board while teaching in small groups and even have pages with drawings and diagrams already inserted which I can annotate and use as I teach.

I make shopping lists at home and then open them on iPhone while out shopping to check off what I get.

I've been watching video tutorials on YouTube and keep learning more things you can do with OneNote.

Especially for the Surface, OneNote is Microsoft's killer app.

Some of you guys that are doing this stuff regularly, in classes, at University, etc., should seriously consider doing some short "How-to" threads or videos, just pick one specific thing like the Power Point slides into OneNote thing. It would be interesting for others to see how other SP3 users interact with their machines, and nothing helps understand like seeing it.

Just a thought... :D

bluegrass

Does anybody else want to learn to use OneNote for hand writing but been using keyboards for so long that you need to learn how to write again. I guess aside from signing my signature, I've been hacking a way on keyboards for over 35 years and can hardly write. My hand writing is embarrassing .

Tsurugaya

I would like to see some utility for teaching OneNote to have improved recognition, similar to speech recognition.