What's new

One Note and Dropbox Questions

JesseDiaz

I use OneDrive exculsively now. I purchase the Office 365 Home that gives me 5 PC, tablets, etc. Having 1TB each person is awesome. Heres the only thing I dont like...( or maybe I havent figured out how yet ).
I have my wife and I set up on OneDrive and would like to have a shared place where we keep all our statements, warranties, etc. Id like to be able to have full access to this shared folder by both people. RIght now, the only way I can think of to do this is scarifice a portion of our space and share the folder....I was thinking since I can have like 5 users, using one of the users space to do this...

Although maybe I can just create a user, add it to my account, and then just share his entire space with my wife and I?

Sorry..I type outload alot

THanks

sharpuser

Administrator
Staff member
JesseDiaz,

Check out setting permissions for multiple people with whom you specifically wish to share OneDrive folders by reading here.

This way, you can create a folder with some kind of name which makes sense for your multiple users.

Kif

JesseDiaz, I'm not sure I quite understand your question. Most if not all cloud storage solutions count a shared folder like that against everyone's quota. Otherwise people would game the system by opening up a bunch of freebe accounts.

MHC48

You will indeed have OneNote full version on your SP3..

Actually, SharpColorado, the SP3 comes with a Modern/Metro version of OneNote, which is less feature rich but more stylus oriented than the "full" OneNote 2013. However, you can just go over to OneNote.com and download the fuller featured Desktop version for free, without Office.

Although 2013 opens on Desktop, I keep a metro tile for both on the Metro screen and use one or the other or go back and go back and forth between them for different reasons. I like using the stylus in the Modern Version, but then I will sometimes open 2013 to convert handwriting to typed text; to move pages and for the myriad of useful features that are in the full version. And of course, I can open the docs on my Windows Phone, which can be very useful for things like shopping lists or information I may need during the day.

I've never used DropBox, so perhaps shouldn't comment, but the reason I've never used it is because One Drive fits all the possible uses I could have for DropBox. You can even save Word documents directly to One Drive as well as your desktop PC. Whenever you want to open or edit the document, you can either do it in the Web version of Office or, if you have it the 365 or version you installed from disk.

And for the poster who was concerned about sharing his space with his wife, you can just give anyone, regardless of whether they have One Drive or Office access to your documents, so no need to split storage (and can restrict access in various ways if you choose).

OP
T

tonypitt

Actually, SharpColorado, the SP3 comes with a Modern/Metro version of OneNote, which is less feature rich but more stylus oriented than the "full" OneNote 2013. However, you can just go over to OneNote.com and download the fuller featured Desktop version for free, without Office.

I think this may wind up being my biggest point of confusion with my soon-to-arrive SP3. I've avoided Windows 8, and the separation between different versions of the same application residing on the same computer seems rather confusing.

So, assume I'm going to install Office 365 on the SP3 (or rather, perhaps I just need to activate it by supplying my key). Do I still need to download a different version of OneNote, or is that all I need?

I think this week I may try to spend some time trying to learn more about both OneNote and Windows 8. If anyone has recommended resources for either of these, please let me know.

Thanks again, all.

cdf3

The best way is to install OneDrive, then drag and drop to your OneDrive folder.

OneDrive comes preinstalled on Windows 8.1.
I'm able to drag and drop files and folders to the OneDrive folder, which works fine, but the OneDrive app and web don't seem to have this feature.
The downside of being able to drag and drop folders containing files to the OneDrive folder on your computer, is that all of those files takes up space on your hard drive.
I'm currently using about 90 GB on DropBox, but I'm able to select which folders I want to sync to my computer. Out of the 90 GB, I'm syncing about 20 GB worth of data. The remaining 70 GB of files are on the DropBox servers only. Those particular folders I don't use often, therefore I don't need the files taking up space on my computer's hard drive. When I want to upload folders and files that are not synced to my computer, I do it using the web interface of DropBox. Does OneDrive provide such a feature?

BillJ

(When I want to upload folders and files that are not synced to my computer, I do it using the web interface of DropBox. Does OneDrive provide such a feature? )

Yup...

Either upload to the web application into a folder designated "online only", or drag and drop to a folder in the OneDrive folder, and then switch that folder to "online only".

MHC48

I think this may wind up being my biggest point of confusion with my soon-to-arrive SP3. I've avoided Windows 8, and the separation between different versions of the same application residing on the same computer seems rather confusing.

So, assume I'm going to install Office 365 on the SP3 (or rather, perhaps I just need to activate it by supplying my key). Do I still need to download a different version of OneNote, or is that all I need?

I think this week I may try to spend some time trying to learn more about both OneNote and Windows 8. If anyone has recommended resources for either of these, please let me know.

Thanks again, all.

Tony, when you install Office 365 the "full" more feature rich version, called OneNote 2013 will come with Office and will automatically be installed along with everything else. The stylus centric version comes already installed on your SP.

There is a really great article describing the differences between the two versions of OneNote here: http://blogs.msdn.com/b/mvpawardprogram/archive/2014/07/14/using-onenote-with-the-surface-pro-3.aspx
and it has a link to another article describing how to get better use of the stylus which is excellent too.

I have to say that for years I found OneNote totally confusing and never used it. I always used Evernote instead because it was just so much simpler. It is simpler but it is also so much more limited. I'm finding more and more ways every day to use OneNote. Having the two versions is great because I can use the 2013 version at my office with a non-touch screen where I use the mouse, and the keyboard. I also clip and send internet sites and e-mails to it from the task bar. I mostly use the Modern version with a stylus on my Surface Pro but I will occasionally switch for some tasks. It's not at all confusing. There is a learning curve with OneNote generally for some people (like me!) but not really between the two versions and OneNote is well worth it.

I guess the same could be said for Windows 8.1. Personally though, I much prefer the Modern interface and hardly ever go back to the desktop, except when a legacy program (like WordPerfect and for now Office) drops me back in. Other than that the only time I purposely go to the old desk top is when I want a second version of IE running or when I need to access the Control Panel.

cdf3

(When I want to upload folders and files that are not synced to my computer, I do it using the web interface of DropBox. Does OneDrive provide such a feature? )

Yup...

Either upload to the web application into a folder designated "online only", or drag and drop to a folder in the OneDrive folder, and then switch that folder to "online only".

That didn't work for me. When using the web application, I was unable to find an option to designate the folder as being online only. I also tried right clicking a folder within the OneDrive folder on my Surface Pro. I selected Online Only, but the folder and files still remained on my Surface Pro hard drive. When I deleted that folder on my Surface Pro, it deleted it online as well.
I also hate that the web browser does not support the ability to upload folders. This makes it tedious trying to upload folders from my work computer, which does not have the OneDrive app installed on it.

Attachments

• Screenshot (17).png
    Screenshot (17).png
    11.2 KB · Views: 468
Last edited:

BillJ

That didn't work for me. When using the web application, I was unable to find an option to designate the folder as being online only. I also tried right clicking a folder within the OneDrive folder on my Surface Pro. I selected Online Only, but the folder and files still remained on my Surface Pro hard drive. When I deleted that folder on my Surface Pro, it deleted it online as well.
I also hate that the web browser does not support the ability to upload folders. This makes it tedious trying to upload folders from my work computer, which does not have the OneDrive app installed on it.

Hmmm,
In Metro OneDrive, look for: settings/options/"make all files available offline"; if that option is checked, you will not be able to deselect individual folders from your computer's hard drive.
When I designate a folder to be "offline only", it is removed from my computer's OneDrive folder.

Also, I understand the problem with uploading folders. Simply create the new folder in the web-based OneDrive, and then navigate to select the entire contents of the folder that you wish to upload. This should do the same thing.

I will admit that I had a devil of a time getting OneDrive to work properly for me. What finally got all the kinks out was a system refresh. After that, I have not had any problems.

cdf3

Hmmm,
In Metro OneDrive, look for: settings/options/"make all files available offline"; if that option is checked, you will not be able to deselect individual folders from your computer's hard drive.
When I designate a folder to be "offline only", it is removed from my computer's OneDrive folder.

Also, I understand the problem with uploading folders. Simply create the new folder in the web-based OneDrive, and then navigate to select the entire contents of the folder that you wish to upload. This should do the same thing.

I will admit that I had a devil of a time getting OneDrive to work properly for me. What finally got all the kinks out was a system refresh. After that, I have not had any problems.

When I went to Settings/Options/"make all files available offline", I don't see a check next to it as you mentioned. If gives me the option to click on it, then presents me with a message.
Screenshot (18).png
Screenshot (19).png

cdf3

This is only good for uploading one folder at a time. If the folder contains sub-folders, then I have to create all of the sub-folders, and upload the files to each sub-folder separately. This can be time consuming if there are a lot of subfolders.