What's new

Ok now I'm complaining

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
If MS were smart they would start putting the 8/19 firmware on all units manufactured ASAP as without it you're likely to get a temperature shutdown applying updates and new firmware or not botched updates will cause all sorts of troubles.

gtext

Don't mind me.... had a particularly bad week, so I should have had a few beers and relaxed before making any comments on any board. o_O

Decided to take the SP3 i7 back to the MS Store (just a few miles from me) and exchanged it for another one. So far so good. This is the 5th SP3 (3 i5's and 2 i7's) so hopefully it all works. Can't imagine how MS expects to eventually make a profit if they have to keep swapping hardware. To their credit, they are very accommodating and make the exchange with zero questions.

Wow goto give you credit for not giving up.

In Australia well only get 14 days trial and return for a refund.
We simply couldn't stay within that time and exchange that many times from the MS store.
So the question is is the period extended when exchanging so you have sufficient time to tryout the exchanged device.
I think in our case as we'd loose at least a week shipping back and receiving the new one, so better to ship back for a refund and order again after the refund and retain the 14 days. That's if I want to retain the option of a refund.

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
Wow goto give you credit for not giving up.

In Australia well only get 14 days trial and return for a refund.
We simply couldn't stay within that time and exchange that many times from the MS store.
So the question is is the period extended when exchanging so you have sufficient time to tryout the exchanged device.
I think in our case as we'd loose at least a week shipping back and receiving the new one, so better to ship back for a refund and order again after the refund and retain the 14 days. That's if I want to retain the option of a refund.
Not sure there's a 14/30 day limit on problem exchanges...

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
So I'm leaving my computer on for the night, did my usual ctrlaltdel to lock it....

Come back after a while and the fan is going hard, back is hot, I unlock, task manager, boom 0% cpu usage and things start settling down.

What's going on? Oh wait, just had a thought, indexing?
Is your machine on an Active Directory Domain? Does your IT department use Configuration Manager or other Client Management Suite?

OP
Y

ynohtna

I haven't got my SP3 yet, but I guess it comes with 'Fast Startup' enabled. ...
Normally, having fastboot enabled is fine. Even with SSDs it's slightly faster than a clean boot. Nevertheless you have to be aware of the consequences. If you don't like, you can disable fast boot in the control menu.

Thanks for the reminder, I disabled that almost right away on my Lenovo Helix. I can't remember what problem I was trying to fix on the Helix for that.

Is your machine on an Active Directory Domain? Does your IT department use Configuration Manager or other Client Management Suite?

No, I fully control my laptop... well it's been owning me the past couple days! Hopefully will get to the bottom for it!

Installing windows updates, after 1 update, doing the second check reveals 42 updates. But really, updates should be no sweat for an i7 sp3

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
Thanks for the reminder, I disabled that almost right away on my Lenovo Helix. I can't remember what problem I was trying to fix on the Helix for that.

No, I fully control my laptop... well it's been owning me the past couple days! Hopefully will get to the bottom for it!

Installing windows updates, after 1 update, doing the second check reveals 42 updates. But really, updates should be no sweat for an i7 sp3
Haha, If an SP3 could sweat it would. :)
How would you feel if someone stuffed you in a small box and asked you to do your normal work.

When you get that Firmware update installed perhaps you won't get the Temp Issue again. I hope not but I can't say for sure. It does seem fairly certain you would get the temp issue without the firmware update and I believe there were a couple firmware updates that attempted to address the issue but were not completely successful.

I made a change in the past which would definitely prevent the temp issue however, that change appears to have absolutely no affect with the latest firmware installed. Good luck, and if you still get a temp issue with the latest firmware that just means they have more work to do to make the Intel Processor feel comfortable in that little box. :)

OP
Y

ynohtna

Saga continues, hope that fix they were talking about happens this week!

I left the SP3 for five days, undocked... I rdp to it with my surface RT for light work while away. Nice and reliable and always there when I needed it.

Come back home... dock it, my two externals light up ok.. oop I have to do a few things away. Leave the computer.

Come back and it had restarted and complaining about unable to recover my computer and to do a restore. I ignore it, shut it down completely , boot it up and it's alright, but fans blaring.

Not sure what it's doing, Windows defender was doing almost 30% cpu for a little bit at the beginning and now a process "System" is constantly doing around 15-20%, trading places wtih System Interrupts for a total of about 27-35% constantly.

Lots of fan alternating between high speed and low speed.

Not even sure what to think, and yea I'm just complaining :) and I'm almost leaning towards saying the overall stability is almost like my Lenovo Helix but for seemingly different things.

OP
Y

ynohtna

Well my 2nd work week with the SP3 has been better in terms of stability, 1st week after the 2xrefresh. I'm ok with fans going on and off, and nothing extreme. I do find when idle, windows defender and something else does stuff to 99% my disk load. But no thermal shutdown and I'm docked most of the time.

I still have issues with external monitors not waking all the time after getting turned off by power saving (undock, redock seems to fix that), bluetooth connectivity to my Logitech diNovo keyboard after leaving the computer for a bit (I think I know how to get that going again without rebooting), and invisible mouse icon at boot up (but I think I know how to prevent it in future). The invisible mouse is for both my logitech connected by unifying receiver and type keyboard when plugged in when I see the invisible mouse icon.