What's new

New pro 4gb vs pro4 4/8gb

4king

HI, Im looking to purchase a surface hoping to get some help if possible.

I'm debating on either getting new pro 4gb or PRO4 4 or 8gb.

I'm into artwork not professional but rather a hobby, a beginner i'd say.

Been using samsung slate 7-A04 for many years , it is a bit sluggish with photoshop.

Always wanted a surface, 1 of the best feature for me is the stand. Primary use at home so battery is not important nor storage. What i seek mostly is the smoothness performance, and of course budget

Always go for more RAM than faster CPU. Your daily workflow will always be bottlenecked by available RAM so if the Pro 4 with 8 GB RAM costs as much as the new Pro with 4 GB RAM, definitely get the Pro 4. Anyways, the Pro 4 comes with 6th Gen Intel CPU which is just a generation behind the current 7th Gen unlike Pro 3 which is 2 generations behind Pro 4 in the CPU.

mva5580

If battery life isn't a big deal to you, then get the 4. That's pretty much all there is to it. Sure the new version has the newer CPU, but by far the biggest difference between the 2 generations is battery life.

convergent

Always go for more RAM than faster CPU. Your daily workflow will always be bottlenecked by available RAM so if the Pro 4 with 8 GB RAM costs as much as the new Pro with 4 GB RAM, definitely get the Pro 4. Anyways, the Pro 4 comes with 6th Gen Intel CPU which is just a generation behind the current 7th Gen unlike Pro 3 which is 2 generations behind Pro 4 in the CPU.

Agree with you up to 8GB, after which its really debatable depending on your use.

If battery life isn't a big deal to you, then get the 4. That's pretty much all there is to it. Sure the new version has the newer CPU, but by far the biggest difference between the 2 generations is battery life.

In addition to battery life, the other two things I like on the nSP over SP4 are the reshaped edges which make it more comfortable hold for a long time in tablet mode; and the pen experience. Both of these areas are noticeably better. Battery life, I agree, is the biggest benefit though.

Cuchulainn

6GB seemed to be about my average peak. It’s a shame they didn’t offer a 8/512 version. It’s an unnecessary cost increase to have to get 16GB, simply for a larger capacity SSD. 8GB seems
to me a nice sweet spot with a bit of breathing room for the majority of users, I would think.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

convergent

6GB seemed to be about my average peak. It’s a shame they didn’t offer a 8/512 version. It’s an unnecessary cost increase to have to get 16GB, simply for a larger capacity SSD. 8GB seems
to me a nice sweet spot with a bit of breathing room for the majority of users, I would think.

If they did, I would have bought the 512.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Cuchulainn

If they did, I would have bought the 512.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

$600 difference between the i7 8/256 and the i7 16/512 is a hefty price if you really only need one or the other. If they wanted to keep the line limited, I believe the 512 option would be more popular than than the 16GB RAM.

I wonder how well the 16B/1TB sells at $2700? I guess well enough that they carried the spec over from the SP4, but would 8/512GB models have sold better? My guess is yes.