What's new

Microsoft to unveil Windows 9 next month

dgstorm

Editor in Chief
windows-8-1-start1.jpg

Microsoft is planning to unveil its Windows 8 successor next month at a special press event. Sources familiar with Microsoft’s plans tell The Verge that the software maker is tentatively planning its press event for September 30th to detail upcoming changes to Windows as part of a release codenamed "Threshold." This date may change, but the Threshold version of Windows is currently in development and Microsoft plans to release a preview version of what will likely be named Windows 9 to developers on September 30th or shortly afterwards. The date follows recent reports from ZDNet that suggested Microsoft is planning to release a preview version of Windows 9 in late September or early October.

The early technology preview will give developers a first look at the new mini Start Menu in Windows 9, alongside the removal of the Charms bar feature and several UI changes. Microsoft is currently compiling builds of Threshold ready for the preview that include an early version of Cortana, but it’s not clear if this particular feature will be made available as part of the technology preview.

Continue Reading @: http://www.theverge.com/2014/8/21/6052807/windows-9-preview-press-event-september

dniezby

Start Menu? Seriously? That's what users are complaining about? How lazy can a user be? Getting rid of the Charms menu? WTF? It puts EVERYTHING you need to quickly access right there. (Volume, Network, Brightness, Keyboard mode etch) why would they do that?

Who are these morons that complain about the excellent progress that has been made? Maybe they should take a few minutes to learn how to use a computer before complaining.

Windows 8.1 puts everything right there. It's quick and VERY easy to use. It's what I would call "dummy proof"... Apparently there are people that are beyond dummy. When I purchased my SP3 I heard all kinds of stories about people coming in complaining "W8.1 Sucks I want to return this." Then the associate would literally take 5 minutes with them and they would leave in awe. WTF people? Time to progress forward.

Who uses a "Start Menu" anymore. Hell, I didn't use it when it was W7 or Vista?

I can't be the only one that thinks MS is bowing down to the idiots? Why don't they just make a dumbed down machine or make a "simple mind" edition? LOL. Sorry, had to go there.

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
Well my fellow rats, how do you like having your cheese moved again. Sure we adapters will do just that and find to where in the maze the cheese has been moved.

Maybe this time the non adapters will find the cheese too, who knows.

I'm sure a lot will be said... by pundits most of it useless... drivel. They have a job, its not to inform but to generate ad views and nothing informative, useful, or positive works for that. To get ad views you have to be negative, misinform, and create controversy. .

dniezby

Well said. I mean, really; how difficult is it to just begin typing, pull up the search charm and soon ask Cortland how to do things? There is so much that can be done and done more quickly over it's predecessors that I'm truly baffled to hear people complain about such silly little (and mostly useless) features.

Compusmurf

to the OP, you're thinking small/consumer level. It's easy to train 1 person at a time how to take advantage of all the new features and where to find stuff. However, I have to look at it from a corporate perspective. I'm IT with a global corporation. How the heck am I going to be able to teach 145,000+ folks that are GLOBAL like that? But with a start menu that they all KNOW, I don't have to re-train ANYONE. Which is more cost effective for us? Whom do you think MS is catering this towards? One off home users or large corporations where they draw most of their steady income from?

hughlle

Super Moderator
Staff member
Start Menu? Seriously? That's what users are complaining about? How lazy can a user be? Getting rid of the Charms menu? WTF? It puts EVERYTHING you need to quickly access right there. (Volume, Network, Brightness, Keyboard mode etch) why would they do that?

Who are these morons that complain about the excellent progress that has been made? Maybe they should take a few minutes to learn how to use a computer before complaining.

Windows 8.1 puts everything right there. It's quick and VERY easy to use. It's what I would call "dummy proof"... Apparently there are people that are beyond dummy. When I purchased my SP3 I heard all kinds of stories about people coming in complaining "W8.1 Sucks I want to return this." Then the associate would literally take 5 minutes with them and they would leave in awe. WTF people? Time to progress forward.

Who uses a "Start Menu" anymore. Hell, I didn't use it when it was W7 or Vista?

I can't be the only one that thinks MS is bowing down to the idiots? Why don't they just make a dumbed down machine or make a "simple mind" edition? LOL. Sorry, had to go there.

I apologize for having a different opinion to you. Sincerely, Start Menu user.

You do realize that it can be perfectly arguable that the new interface is dumbed down. Menus was too tricky, lets just but big boxes everywhere so you don't even have to look where to click. Why can't you be less dumb and just learn how to use a start menu :p

I had my opinion on windows 8 before i had a demo with the sp3 and a MS sale rep, he could offer nothing to make me feel awe over the software.

This is your, and microsofts mistakes. You think you can just force people to change by talking loudly. If people are happy, leave them be, because chances are, as sales clearly show, people do not want to change, things are fine as they are. Why move forward in an undesirable manner when there is no need or demand for the change?