What's new

Microsoft announces the Surface Laptop and Windows 10S

OP
jnjroach

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
The Surface line has always been queued up to highlight a version of Windows - Surface RT - Windows RT and Surface Pro - Windows 8.0, Surface Pro 2 - Windows 8.1 and Surface 2 - Windows RT Update

Surface Studio - Creators Update, so the Laptop is designed to highlight the strengths of Windows 10S.

It is also the future of Win32...

convergent

I too think we'll see cheap Windows 10 S machines from other vendors. The same machines they sell as Chromebooks that have Intel and 4G of RAM can run it, and they sell for about $250. Just depends on how much Microsoft will OEM the license for to those guys. I would guess they will make it attractive to try and get a footprint in that space.

macmee

the Laptop is designed to highlight the strengths of Windows 10S.

That's kind of a funny way of putting it to me. That it's designed to highlight the strengths of its severely reduced set of features since it's crippled in terms of what apps it can run (can't even run cmd.exe).

OP
jnjroach

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
That's kind of a funny way of putting it to me. That it's designed to highlight the strengths of its severely reduced set of features since it's crippled in terms of what apps it can run (can't even run cmd.exe).
But you can run PowerShell....it is designed specifically for more locked down use cases, you are not the target neither am I currently.

convergent

Not being able to run cmd.exe is kind of the point. The majority of computer users have no idea what that is and have no need for it. You are not the target audience for this new OS. Honestly, I've not done anything on the command line in Windows in many years myself, but I would want the option.. and thus, I'm not the person that would buy this new OS. All my family and relatives are, because they are the ones that call me when their machine is hosed up from doing something they shouldn't have done. They need a locked down "Chromebook" kind of environment that is safe. This is Microsoft's move to try and address that market.