What's new

Micro USB Charging Port Broken :(

JuliusM

Hello People,
Have had my surface 3 (128GB/4GB) for about 3 months. Have had no major gripes (even loved using it with Windows 10). I recently managed to break the micro-usb charger port. The plastic bit in the port that carries the contacts broke off.. Any ideas on how I can fix this are welcome. thanks in advance.

leeshor

Welcome to the forum

I don't know of any easy way to fix that. It sound like you'll need to get it fixed or replaced by Microsoft.

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
I suppose you don't have the extended warranty... as it's probably not covered under the standard warranty unless there's a clear defect, worth a shot though.

I wouldn't recommend attempting to repair it yourself. Although... if it's dead and there's absolutely no other option maybe. However, consider this... if it costs $X to get it repaired/replaced vs the cost of time and materials to successfully open and repair the unit without further damaging it; how much will you save? What's your time worth? Consider to fix: tools, heat gun etc. very small soldering station. Skills: unsolder/solder connector,remove screen, detach/reattach connectors, cables. Reseal: reattach cables etc., glue, press fit the screen. Time: researching & acquiring parts, tools, supplies, doing the actual work. That's if you succeed... if you fail you've spent all that time and money and still have nothing save an expensive education and would have to buy a new unit at full price.

That said, a used or refurb unit might be something to look at also.

Zippy0n

Sounds stupid but that USB really is only used to charge it, you could purchase the Surface 3 Docking Station and charge it that way? through the Mini Display port. Negative is that you'd have only one charging point, plus the additional £100 (ish) price...charges it faster too!

OP
J

JuliusM

Thank you Leeshor, I was afraid of that. Although the Dock
Sounds stupid but that USB really is only used to charge it, you could purchase the Surface 3 Docking Station and charge it that way? through the Mini Display port. Negative is that you'd have only one charging point, plus the additional £100 (ish) price...charges it faster too!

Wow, I had thought the Micro USB was a strong point But Now... Wasn't sure which port on the dock charged it and was considering trying a male to male USB cable to the USB 3.0 port :) But I guess thats out the window. (since you say the mini display port is used for charge) I guess I have to get the Dock then :/

leeshor

There are a ton of phone out there that have gone through the same problem with micro USB ports. A new product is coming out called ZNAPS. You plug an adapter into the micro USB port one time and an adapor on the charging cable snaps onto it magnetically so you never need to use the port again. IMO, a fantastic plan.

hughlle

Super Moderator
Staff member
Thank you Leeshor, I was afraid of that. Although the Dock

Wow, I had thought the Micro USB was a strong point But Now... Wasn't sure which port on the dock charged it and was considering trying a male to male USB cable to the USB 3.0 port :) But I guess thats out the window. (since you say the mini display port is used for charge) I guess I have to get the Dock then :/

Alas micro-usb was considered a big mistake almost from day 1. From charge time, to how fragile it is, to the nightmare of finding chargers and cables that were actually compatible (despite MS claims that any would work)

bronsky

The dock does not have a connection for the mUSB port. It connects only through the full size USB 3.0 port and the DP port. That means that charging in the dock is accomplished through the USB 3.0 port. So, yes, that is one option to solve your problem. It occurs to me that the USB 3.0 port should be able to act as a charging port with a charger and full sized cable alone. I would give it a try.

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
The dock does not have a connection for the mUSB port. It connects only through the full size USB 3.0 port and the DP port. That means that charging in the dock is accomplished through the USB 3.0 port. So, yes, that is one option to solve your problem. It occurs to me that the USB 3.0 port should be able to act as a charging port with a charger and full sized cable alone. I would give it a try.
Looking forward to your results... previously people have indicated charging via the USB 3.0 port didn't work.
By process of elimination we concluded the dock charges via the DP port since the dock doesn't connect to the micro USB port. :)

Last edited:

bronsky

How do you know it doesn't charge via the mini display port?

I don't and assumed that it was the USB 3.0. Did not know that anyone had already used a process of elimination. At least the dock will still solve the problem of a broken mUSB and if the DP can charge, there must be some way to make a Frankenstein cable that can do the trick.

BTW, for the price, I don't know why anyone would own a portable device like the S3 without Complete Care. When I ran over my old AVN8 with my car, it was replaced with a smile and a $50 deductible charge. Just advice for future owners.