What's new

Solved IE 11 desktop don't change me anymore homepage

daniielrp

Yeah after reboot I have again google there. Nothing. I will continue to investigate.

If it comes back at start up it's likely still malware then, but the not-so-evil kind. I'd recommend downloading CCleaner and using this to thoroughly, thoroughly check startup items and scheduled tasks. Also just check your installed programs for anything related Facebook/games/browser etc.

[advanced]
Open task manager and go to the details tab. Once on there right click at the top and click 'select columns'. Check the box for 'Image Path name' and OK this.
This details tab will now be showing the path to every process that's running - check for any running from temp folders or appdata, or anything that looks out of place in general. I could do this in seconds as I deal with this kind of stuff daily so know what to look for.

olimjj

Yeah after reboot I have again google there. Nothing. I will continue to investigate.

I suspect you have some programs/resident programs that might be causing your problems. But first lets get some preliminaries out of the way. Some of these have already been suggested but lets go through them any way.
With your keyboard attached and Internet connection online.
Open up Contrl Panel and choose Programs and Features
Look at your list and uninstall any programs you dont recognize or do not want including any google related programs except perhaps the vanilla google toolbar.
Open up Desktop IE
Make sure you have the Menu bar activated.
Select Tools from the Menu bar
Select Internet options from the drop down window
Select the Security tab
Select “Reset all zones to default level” and select Apply NOT OK
Select Privacy tab
Select Advanced
Check “Override automatic cookie handling”
Third–party Cookies choose: Block
First-party Cookies choose: Accept
OK
Select the General tab and type in your home page address in the box provided
example:http://nbcnews.com/
Select Apply NOT OK
Select Settings
Select View files on the Temporary Internet Files tab
Press Ctrl-A to select all files and press delete key
Yes OK OK
Go back to the Menu Bar and Select Tools again
Select Manage Add-ons
Choose Tracking Protection
Go to “Get a tracking Protection List online” at the bottom of the window
Choose and “Add” several from the choices offered
Make sure they are all enabled and Close
Close IE
Go to this website and select the free version of CCleaner
http://www.piriform.com/ccleaner/download
Download and Install it without any add-ons and no real time protection
Run it as Administrator
Choose Analyze and then Run Cleaner
Close program
Press Ctrl-Alt- Del and Select Task Manager
Under the Processes Tab, take note of what Apps are not closed and background processes running
Under the Startup Tab, disable any unnecessary resident programs
close
Shut down and restart

ScottyS

Thanks daniielrp and olimjj.
I never knew you could add columns in Task Manager and adding Image path name really helps making it more usable to trouble shoot.
And for olimjj's tip... I'm copying it to save as a file in case I need it in the future.

OP
Enrico D.

Enrico D.

I did olimjj
still nothing, I willl do it again as I finish to work and I have more time and pc free from apps.
this is a list of software i use, i post because it's quite short and I use very few programs, mainly finance and secure.

Attachments

• programs 1.jpg
    programs 1.jpg
    94.1 KB · Views: 479

olimjj

if it can help: if I put 2 home pages to open, the first is always google, the second is the one I want.
Let say I put www.google.com and www.facebook.com to open 2 tabs each time I launch explorer, it will be fine. If I do www.facebook.com www.google.com, both will come www.google.com because the first one is always stuck on www.google.com
I see that you have avast antivirus program installed. I believe that it has a browser protection feature that does not allow any change in homepage.
If you go through the sequence I listed make sure you start IE with "run as Administrator" before making your changes each time. Please provide a list of your startup programs as listed in Task Manager.

OP
Enrico D.

Enrico D.

If I run as administrator nothing changed.
However, thanks to your comment about the antivirus,
I went again into Avast and I tried to figure out where they could put some option that could block IE editing.
I think is this check this image:
avast.jpg

I unchecked IE and now it changed in facebook my homepage.
I will try to reboot now and see if it was.

Avast made too many changes in the last upgrade and this caused probabily many issues! I never had problems with avast for years, like 5 at least, was too invasive last update of version.

OP
Enrico D.

Enrico D.

I hoped was this... it let me change... facebook.com finally come up, I reboot, and nothing! all over again. But I start to think it's avast. I'm going mad. But this set up in avast speak clearly about homepage... private search, and engines....... I think something is here for my problem.Untitled.jpg

OP
Enrico D.

Enrico D.

About my start up programs enabled here you go:

start up.jpg

I'm quite clean, I just authorize usually antivirus + skype that goes online, only this.