What's new

How much Charge did your 128 have?

Russ

The Pro Charger does seem to be a higher output but I agree that it might be just for the USB port provided.

Machistmo --

Per the specs, RT charger is 24W. Pro charger is 48W, with 5W allocated to the USB charger. It will give a much quicker recharge.

Regards,
Russ

J515OP

Super Moderator
Machistmo --

Per the specs, RT charger is 24W. Pro charger is 48W, with 5W allocated to the USB charger. It will give a much quicker recharge.

Regards,
Russ

That really depends on how MS set things up. So if the usb port is 5v @ 2amps that is 10 Watts leaving 38 Watts for charging. If the processors uses 10 Watts or so when being used that leaves 28 Watts for charging or about the same as RT. So you can see why they built the more powerful charger to make up some of the extra capacity.

Though a test would be nice to confirm I still think an RT charger with the Pro asleep or off would yield about the same rate of charge as the Pro charge would (but the Pro charger can deliver that under any circumstance).

JP

Nemesis296

You must have an older iPhone. It does take twice as long because the iPad chargers draws at 2amps and the older iPhone chargers only provide 1amp so charging takes twice as long.

This is not the case with the Pro and RT chargers. Though I haven't read the actual power rating on the pro charger (look at the brick and it should give volts and amps) my understanding is the pro charger is over powered. This was done to allow power for charging a second device on the USB slot as well as allowing fast charging while the pro is in use (full size processor takes power away from charging otherwise).

So in theory if you use the RT charger with the Pro off or asleep it should charge just as quickly as with the Pro charger. If in use it will take longer but not necessarily twice as long.

It's interesting that you say I have an older iPhone, my test is actually from using the iPhone 5 charger (with lightning cable) to charge an iPad 4 (also with lightning cable). The power on the iPad is just a heck of a lot more than the iPhone, and requires much more juice to charge the battery. What normally charges my iPad to 100% only charged it to 48% with the iPhone charger. That's where I was basing my comparison. I don't have an RT to actually compare the battery charging with the Pro.

Russ

I still think an RT charger with the Pro asleep or off would yield about the same rate of charge as the Pro charge

JP --

Your numbers make sense. The comparison spec sheet that Microsoft put out just says "Power Supply: 48W power supply (including 5W USB for accessory charging)."

In any case, this discussion has saved me $40!! I was about to order an extra charger for her to leave at the office, but was gagging on the $80 price. Now, I will order the RT charger for her office. As I have just shown today, the RT charger will power the Pro and maintain 100% battery life.

Works fer me!

Take care,
Russ

J515OP

Super Moderator
JP --

Your numbers make sense. The comparison spec sheet that Microsoft put out just says "Power Supply: 48W power supply (including 5W USB for accessory charging)."

In any case, this discussion has saved me $40!! I was about to order an extra charger for her to leave at the office, but was gagging on the $80 price. Now, I will order the RT charger for her office. As I have just shown today, the RT charger will power the Pro and maintain 100% battery life.

Works fer me!

Take care,
Russ

Russ, thank you for the confirmation. Just to be clear there will still be differences particularly depending on use. It is nice to know if you have the RT plug it isn't a total waste though and should be sufficient as a secondary charger.

JP

Edit: Just reread the 5W usb statement. That is a bit of a bummer since they only gave 5V @ 1A apparently and most of the newer devices need 2A to charge efficiently.

Last edited:

Russ

Just reread the 5W usb statement. That is a bit of a bummer since they only gave 5V @ 1A apparently and most of the newer devices need 2A to charge efficiently.

JP --

A couple of semantic issues here:
1. I'm not sure if my Iphone 3GS or my IpadV1 qualify as "newer devices," and
2. Not sure about "charging efficiently."

However, I plugged each of them into the USB port on the Pro power supply, and each one of them registered as Charging. For whatever that's worth.

Take care,
Russ

J515OP

Super Moderator
3GS not sure but iPad should require 2amps to charge quickly. You may find it takes twice as long to charge those devices on the Surface usb port than their own usb bricks. "Newer" means since about the iPad 1.