What's new

heating / battery issues

nedanov

Hi guys,

I recently got my first Spro so I am new to the forum! :)

I purchased the 2017 i5 8/256GB version of the Surface. Overall it is super sleek and beautiful, however I have noticed that any time i use the pen (for as little as writing in one note for 15+ish minutes) I immediately notice that the tablet begins to heat up. It is not 'blazing' hot in the sense I cannot even touch the top or anything, however it is definitely hotter than other tablet/phone I have ever used. I was wondering if this is normal behavior as you generally have to try really hard to find someone having a heating complaint with this product.

Also, when using the pen (I have only had it for 2 days, so I haven't had a lot of time to play with it) I noticed the battery drains so quickly. I was writing in starbucks for about an hour and a half yesterday and the battery went from 97% down to 62%.

Are those behaviors normal? Is there a setting I am missing. It is a brand new devise, I have installed all of the Windows 10 updates etc...

Thank you so much in advance!

everalm

Make a holding directory on the C drive lets say C:\Holding
Open up Notepad
Paste the following in to the screen

Powercfg /batteryreport
Powercfg /sleepstudy
Powercfg /energy

File....Save As , select File Type "All files", save into your new directory as power.bat

Open an administrator command shell (type cmd in the menu bar, right click, run as Administrator)

Change to the C:\Holding directory

type power, hit return, wait approx. 90 seconds until the tasks have run

You will now have 3 HTML files you can open in a browser to read

Battery-Report
Energy-Report
SleepStudy-Report

These will tell you the battery life, estimates usage etc. of the battery, what is using up power and the status of sleep/hibernation etc.

This will be you first stop to see what is eating power, if you have an issue with the battery etc.

OP
N

nedanov

Thank you so much for the reply!

Is there anything in particular which I should focus on? For instance:

System Power State: Modern Standby
START TIME DURATION STATE ENERGY CHANGE CHANGE RATE % LOW POWER STATE TIME
26 2017-08-1704:13:17 11:10:25 Modern Standby 2,915 mWh 6% of battery 261 mW Drain SW: 100% HW: 92% ⋮

6% battery drain in 11 hours of standby. Is this within specs?

This was the performance when I was writing on it for around 1:45 hours last night:

upload_2017-8-18_14-59-14.png

The only process which showed up in the consumption report was chrome bcs i had this page open and
something called dwm.exe which used up 2.78%.

Thanks again for helping.

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
Thank you so much for the reply!

Is there anything in particular which I should focus on? For instance:

System Power State: Modern Standby
START TIME DURATION STATE ENERGY CHANGE CHANGE RATE % LOW POWER STATE TIME
26 2017-08-1704:13:17 11:10:25 Modern Standby 2,915 mWh 6% of battery 261 mW Drain SW: 100% HW: 92% ⋮

6% battery drain in 11 hours of standby. Is this within specs?

This was the performance when I was writing on it for around 1:45 hours last night:

View attachment 8672

The only process which showed up in the consumption report was chrome bcs i had this page open and
something called dwm.exe which used up 2.78%.

Thanks again for helping.
6% is a bit high but within normal...

Chrome is known to reduce battery life by 25-50%...