What's new

Solved Headphone Jack Not Working

Saif

Its happened to me too. This morning my surface was working perfect with my headphones and all a sudden I cant hear through them. Is it a bad problem with the hardware or something? And can I return it to Best buy or give it to Microsoft for repairs? Or Can I get it fixed from somewhere? I hope someone can help.

warranty guy

Its happened to me too. This morning my surface was working perfect with my headphones and all a sudden I cant hear through them. Is it a bad problem with the hardware or something? And can I return it to Best buy or give it to Microsoft for repairs? Or Can I get it fixed from somewhere? I hope someone can help.
You should contact Microsoft Support. They will walk you through some troubleshooting steps and if it's determined to be a hardware problem they will make arrangements with you to return the Surface.

Saif

You should contact Microsoft Support. They will walk you through some troubleshooting steps and if it's determined to be a hardware problem they will make arrangements with you to return the Surface.
Thx for the help. I'll try and call Microsoftt and see what I can do.

vicmaine

Has anyone had any problems with the 3.5mm headphone jack that just stops working? It was working fine and then opne day it just stopped. I can't figure out what the issues is.

I found that when i disabled the speakers, the sound defaulted to the headphones. Then it worked.

abc

In sound device settings, with headphone plugged in, set your headphones as the default speakers. When headphone is unplugged, it automatically defaults to the laptop speakers. (at least mine does).

Last edited:

NeXuS

SOLUTION : Had this probleme with a Surface Pro 1, after reading this post here I was sure that the audio port was dead so I made an image to dump it on another Surface Pro 1.

Surprise! Same problem on the second surface, after searching a little bit, i found that removing the audio device in device manager and rebooting solved the trouble!

Marraks

Hi guys!
My SOLUTION is a little different and it might work for some of you guys having the same problem I had. So I've had my Surface Pro for over 1 year now and I started having problems with the headphone jack a couple months ago. Everytime I connected my headphones or external speakers to my SP nothing happened and music kept playing over the built in speakers. However, I found out that if I put the headphones jack kind of half connected it would play one audio channel thru the headphones. So, ok the jack is frakked up and I need to replace it. Well, after a couple months I tried cleaning it with some sand paper and it worked like a charm. Since then I have had no trouble whatsoever with it again.

CrippsCorner

Sand paper where!? Sounds dangerous lol.

I rarely use mine now (usually using Bluetooth audio) but when I do, with certain headphones, there's an annoying buzz that occurs... wouldn't mind getting rid of that!

Marraks

Sand paper where!? Sounds dangerous lol.

I rarely use mine now (usually using Bluetooth audio) but when I do, with certain headphones, there's an annoying buzz that occurs... wouldn't mind getting rid of that!
Haha, I know ;) Inside the jack, of course. I know it may sound silly but cleaning the connectors did the trick for me!

CrippsCorner

Maybe I'l practice on an old Samsung monitor I've got where the headphone jack died first :p thanks for the tip though.

thismandan

As long as the headphone jack isn't faulty, the solution that worked for me was as follows
Navigate to - Start menu, Control Panel, Sound, Set Headphones to Default, Apply